Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

My email looks like it is downloading, but it doesnt arrive

Customer Question

My email looks like it is downloading, but it doesn't "arrive" . I can send out but cannot receive. I can use gmail directly, but not my mac mail program. what is my problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Open Mac Mail

Click on your gmail inbox.

Click Mailbox at the very Top and choose Rebuild
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok rebuilt but it stops at April 20, 2009, the date it stopped working for her. I can see her gmail account though and there are pending incoming emails
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
ok, Click on View, Sort by and make sure Date Received it checked.

If it already is set to Date Received, click on something else and then change it back to Date Received.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it went through the process of trying to receive again, but nothing came through. changing the view didn't do anything after I changed it back
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Start Apple Mail.

Click on the top left where is says Mail and Choose Preferences

Click Gmail account.

delete your incoming server and retype it.     

Should be imap.gmail.com

delete and retype user name

delete password (don't retype just yet)

Restart Apple Mail and login with password.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nope. Initially it didn;t like the imap change, but I told it to connect anyway. I put in her password. It looked like it was going to download, it said how many emails were waiting. it indicated all 71 were downloaded, but they did not go into the inbox. now, she has 2 separate files in her trash, one called gmail, one called on my mac. after the "downloads" neither of the trash files, nor the inbox shows new emails
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Lets have Apple Mail re-download all Mail. This could take some time depending on the amount of messages.

Quit Apple Mail

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock.

This will bring up your home folder.   Go into a folder called Library and then another folder called Mail.

Go to another folder which has your account name in it. such as [email protected]

Drag the file called INBOX.imapmbox to the desktop.

Open Apple Mail

Apple Mail will recreate this file and will re-download all of the messages.

Let me know if this works
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the inbox file is called inbox.mbox. i move it to the desktop, but when I open mac mail again, the inbox is full, and the inbox.mbox file moves c opy of itself back into the username mail file. the file type of the mail file keeps coming up as POP instead of imap, although I renamed it
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi, still waiting for your answer...
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Let's clarify if it is IMAP or POP.

Open Apple Mail

Click on Mail at the top left and choose Preferences.

Click on your account name. What does it say for account type? IMAP or POP

thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it says GMAIL POP
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when I try to logon to email from my mac mail, it says the server cannot be authenticated "Mail cannot verify the identity of imap.gmail.com." Nonetheless, all of the emails have now downloaded into my mac account.
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Ok, that is partially a good sign.   Lets change the server back from imap.gmail.com to pop.gmail.com

If you run into issues with doing this. Please try the following.

Can you double check that gmail is setup for POP access on your account?

Directions are below.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273

If it is setup for POP. Follow the directions here to setup Apple Mail,

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86393

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so now it has set up a parallel GMAIL and GMAIL POP account, and is re-downloading the entire mailbox from Gmail. Do I delelte the other account? I think I should restart as well, as it seemed that the problem resolved itself after I shut down for the night.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok it downloaded everything into a separate gmail account, but it seems to be downloading them all over again...
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
Give it some time to download all of your messages.     It will start to download again if it was interrupted with the first download.

Yes you will delete the other account.

Try sending an email to yourself to make sure the account is sending and receiving mail properly.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it took all day to download her emails, about 2000 but I let it process everything. the only thing that concerns me now is that the little rotary symbol that is next to the old email acct and the new email account that indicate email is downloading...those icons are flicker when I try to download. plus it is still telling me that the server certificate cannot be authenticated...I tell it to connect anyway, then I have to enter the password XXXXX a separate screen. I will be on the road for a couple of days, but I still want to get this fixed. I will be back tuesday, otherwise my husband may step in for me to try to get this fixed for my mother in law.
Expert:  Tom replied 8 years ago.
The icons will flicker if there isn't any new messages. It is the status for checking email.

At this point I would delete the old account or disable the old account.

To disable

Go to Mail and Preferences

Click on your old account and click the advanced tab. Uncheck enable account

Certificate error message:

When you get the server certificate message. Click Show Certificate and at the bottom check always trust. That will solve the issue of it always popping up.