MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

mac froze up, couldnt log off or anything, I unplugged it,

mac froze up, couldn't log off or anything, I unplugged it, now won't boot up, screen is completely blue, no icons, anything, what do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode to see if we can't remove a possible folder(s) that may be affecting your Mac's start up function.
try these steps:

-SAFE MODE MODE-
• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up (this may take a little while but it will load to the Safe mode screen)
• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop enviroment the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you said and 8 minutes later, the screen has turned to blue and the gear is gone, no icons showing, cannot get into computer to get to files
Thanks for your update.

- Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) (Also works for PMU/SMU reset on various earlier models of Mac as well)
(The SMC is an integrated computer chip which is part of the Mac Desktop's logic board and is responsible for the power management of your Desktop)

• From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
• Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
• Wait at least fifteen seconds.
• Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
• Press the power button to start up your computer.
•Watch to see if it boots back to your desktop normally

Let me know if this helps. I will be watching for your post. Thanks

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
First of all, cannot turn off computer with power button, must unplug. I can turn it on with the power button.
Tried what you told me - got white screen & apple icon, then rotating gear for 2 minutes, then screen turned blue and about 30 seconds later, the rotating gear came back, that as been going on for 6 minutes.
Thanks for the update and for attempting the steps I suggested.

• Can you give me an idea when you first got the blue screen and what processes where you working on, at the time you first experienced this issue?

• Also would you mind providing me the model of your Mac as well as the processor speed of your Mac? (if you can)

This will allow me to look up the specs on your model to see if there are any known issues to cause the blue screen problem you are experiencing.
Thanks

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I first got the blue screen when I unplugged the computer after it froze up. I couldn't quit or force quit any program that was open, couldn't put it in sleep mode or shut off. When I plugged it back in, I got the white screen with apple icon and then the blue. This has happened with every solution I've been given so far. It's an mac OS-X 10.5.4, AHTversion 3A152,but I don't kow the processing screen, can only get that from the information when the computer is on. does this help?
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sorry I may not be making my request clear enough for you.

What I need most is to know what model of Mac you are using (i.e iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, etc), as well as the Processor speed, again if possible (i.e iMac 1.83Hhz Duo Core, etc).

Thanks for your patience just want to get this info to check hardware specs for your Mac.

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, it's a desktop iMac, and I don't know the processor speed.
That's ok- it's better than nothing. I will work with what I got.
Will be right with you.

-TD
Ok this is what I want you to try next, but it is going to take for you have your Mac OS X 10.5 Startup/Installation disc.

-RUN DISK UTILITY WITH STARTUP DISK-

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment
(**Note: if this takes 10 minutes or more to boot to the Installer environment, let it keep going but, reply back to me)

• From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac

I hope you can get to this environment- let me know how this goes!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean letter "C" key or control key?
Oh no worries- I would state Control if I wanted you to use that
No I do mean "C" key.

This is because the C key is what functions with the Super or Combo drive in your Mac. that is why you use this key to boot up to the actual Mac OS X Disc when it is in your Super/Combo CD/DVD drive.

Hope this helps!

Still hoping for the best for you in this process!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's been 12 minutes, now all there is just a blue screen, no rotating gear, nothing more & I have the install disc 1 in.
Now what?
This is actually more serious than I thought.

The fact that you are unable to boot up using your Mac OS X 10.5 disc, as well as unable to Safeboot or SMC/SMU reset your Mac, this could be an issue with your logic board or your hard drive, but I want you to try one last step before I make that determination:

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
-ATTEMPT TO BOOT MAC TO SAFE MODE-
• Be sure the computer is shut down.
• Press the power button.
• Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift
key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
• Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress
indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
•(This process takes awhile because it is forcing a directory check of your Mac's startup volume and is only loading the required kernel extensions for you directory.
In lay terms, this means disabling certain processes that are normally required when you normally boot your Macbook to the desktop.)

"Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically.

To leave Safe Mode in any version of Mac OS X, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.
Since attempting to safe boot into Safe Mode, did not, I would suggest
you attempt to boot to Single User Mode in order to verify the integrity of your
hard drive.

USING FSCK COMMAND TO VERIFY AND REPAIR DISK
Start up your computer in Single-User Mode to reach the command line by doing this:
•Make sure your Mac is shutdown.

Here's how you do it.

• Reboot your Mac
• When Mac starts up, press the Apple Command key (Apple icon on key)+ "S" Key
- A black screen, with white text appears
• At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy
• Press Return key.
--fsck will run through a series of tests and will return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. When completed, it will display this message if no issue is found:

The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning, until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

• When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return

Keep me posted I will be watching for your update. Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
says "volume check failed", guess that's not good
Not good, but not incredibly bad either.

What you may need to do here is to run an Archive and install just where you are in the installer environment now. What the "volume check failed" means is that there could be an issue with your Mac OS X volume that you currently run your Mac OS X off of your hard drive with. The good thing is that your hard drive does not seem to be the issue.

It could be the current Mac OS X 10.5 Directory itself.
This is why I suggest an Archive and Install. What this process will do is
remove the damaged directory and create a brand new Mac OS X 10.5 directory on your Macintosh HD. Following the steps below, you will not lose your home folder files.

-ARCHIVE AND INSTALL-

• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. Please remember to use the install disc that matches the current operating system your system haves.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
• Hold the C key until you see a White screen, with a Gray Apple icon and eventually a Spinning gear.

-Your mac will now boot from the disc and load into the Installer environment.

• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X
Installer
window appears.
Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
• Follow the prompts until you get to the licensing agreement screen
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with
the license agreement, click Agree. Then Select a
Destination
window appears.
• Click the volume that you wish to install to (your primary
hard drive).
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Select Archive and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
• You should also select Preserve Users and Network
Settings
, to preserve network and Home directory
settings.
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
• Once the Archive and Install is completed, when you reach your desktop be
sure to run all Software updates to bring your new
Mac OS X directory back
up to current.

Also, if you look inside your Macintosh HD icon on your Desktop, look for a folder entitled "Previous System Folder" which will have all of your previous Home folder files prior to the Archive and Install.

Locating Previous System Folder after Archive and Install.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this process, as I am here to assist you as much as I am able.

Best Regards,

-TD

Regards,

TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
time to quite trying???
Did you receive my last post? Quit trying?? Absolutely not.
You are seeking help from JustAnswer.com for your Mac and I am going to use whatever is available in my resources and knowledge to help you achieve that.

If you did get the last post, performing an Archive and Install is not a stopping point, but a step toward resolution for you with the Blue screen issue, that just does not seem to want to go away. I can tell you incidently that more often than not, a blue screen issue is can be the result of a file, folder or application, that may be hindering the startup of your Mac volume. In this case however, the fact that Disk Utility shows a "volume check error" is an indication that your current Mac OS X 10.5 volume, may very well be damaged or corrupted. It does happen from time to time in the life of many Macs.

Please confirm for me if you did get my last post regarding the running of the Archive and Install process. Thanks again!

-TD
HelloCustomer

Just checking in with you to see how the process is going with the removal of the old Mac OS X directory and creation of the new Mac OS X directory with the Archive and Install process. Keep me posted, I am awaiting your update or more questions if you have them.

Thanks!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no matter what I try that you've suggested nothing works
Thanks for your help, think it needs on-site help
ThanksCustomer this is the update I was looking for from you.

If the Achive and Install did not help, then that could mean the issue
is possibily and I do emphasize, possibly could be an issue with the main logic board
of your Mac.

So you are correct, and my next recommendation would have been the same as what you are planning to do now, which is arrange to take your Mac or have onsite service for your Mac.

I am not sure if you have the 3 year Applecare protection plan coverage for your Mac or even the standard limited warranty hardware coverage.

But just in case, you can call Applecare at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand speak with their technical support to arrange for an onsite support call or arrange to take in your Mac to your local Apple Retail store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

I have taken the liberty to provide you with the service center locator links for both of these Apple Service entities:

Apple Retail Store (Genius Bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider

I wish you well in the diagnosis and repair processe for your Mac. If you still have any further questions regarding this subject, please don't hesitate to reply back to this post as you have. Thanks for attempting my suggested steps for your Mac technical issue.

Sincerest Regards,

-TD

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years