Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I am locked out of my MAc Book Pro. When I type in my password

I am locked out of my MAc Book Pro. When I type in my password XXXXX get YOU ARE UNABLE TO LOGIN TO USERNAME AT THIS TIME. What can I do to solve this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

What version of Mac OS X are you nusing?

Do you have your install disks for this Mac or the vewrsion of OS X currently installed?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OSX Tiger, not sure about the version. No install disks available here

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

There are only 2 ways to do this...the easy way and the hard way...heh, sorry.

Ummm, without the disks we will not be able to use the Password XXXXX utility on the install disk.

So, the only thing I can suggest is you shutdown the Mac. Let it sit for a minute and then turn it back on. This will allow you to enter your password XXXXX and you will get x number of tries before it locks you out again.

Keep in mind the password XXXXX most likely wants is the Admin password. The same one needed for installs, etc...

If you can't remember the password, then you need to get a copy of the install disk for that Mac and use the Password XXXXX and enter a new password.

Last resort, we can create a new Admin user form scratch and then you will have to move all your files from the old user to the new user. A lot of work.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I know the password XXXXX sure but the MAC does not accept it. After trying 3 times I get another screen to enter the Master Password. Typed it in correctly.

The I get a popup @ Changing the passowrd for this user account creates a new keychain etc"

I then type and verify the new password XXXXX once I click on login the screen shakes, erases the password XXXXX typed.

Need to get this fixed. Can we do it now?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Are you logged in now?

Are you trying to change it in the Keychain Utility or in the System preferences - Accounts window?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not logged in now.

On the intitial login screen, I type my password XXXXX times until I get @unable to login at this time. I click OK and get another creen asking for my master password XXXXX the message:Type the pswd to reset this user's password XXXXX unlock FileVault., I typr the master password XXXXX get a popu "Changing the pswd for this user account creates a new keychain to save pswds. I click OK and get the New pswd screen but it does not accept a new password. Stuck here.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Oh no,

I was hoping this did not involve FileVault.

Ok. I need you to be carefull here. There is NO WAY of recovering data locked in a File Vault. You must know either the FileVault password XXXXX the Master password.

If you did not set the Master password, try logging in at the use Master password XXXXX by not entering one.

If you did enter a Master password XXXXX the time you set up the File Vault, then it must exact, upppercase/lowercase, whatever, it must be exact.

As far as the main admin password XXXXX log in to filevault, you cannot get around that. You have to know it. If you don't then resetting with disks may be possible, but did not work for me.

I cannot help you with this. My daughter lost all of her data, music, pictures, everything because she setup Filevault and forgot what password XXXXX set.

I spent three days doing everything I could find to unlock it to no avail.

So I am sorry, but I think you are going to have to work on those passwords and if you get in... TURN IT OFF. Filevault can and will cause data loss if the password XXXXX XXXXX or corrupted.

I'll request a refund for you as well. I do not want the Accept since I cannot help you, even though this is an answer you don't want to hear.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know my login and Main passwords! I successfuly type in the Master and then I get to the point of resetting the password XXXXX it does not accept my new password.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry. I requested the refund and I am going to Opt out.

If another Expert knows something else, they will pick up the question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you