Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

I set up my Kodak ESP 5 printer. I have the software installed

Customer Question

I set up my Kodak ESP 5 printer. I have the software installed on my Mac iBook G4. When I try to print a documemt, the printer makes grinding noises very loudly, and then a window pops up on my screen and says "Printer not responding". What am I not doing correctly?

Bob Cook worked with me last time. Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hi Linda,

Did your printer work then stop working? Or did it never work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Bob,
I purchased the Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, and installed it. Then I put the Kodak printer CD back in and installed that, after I had installed the 10.4 version.

Every time I try to print a document, the printer just grinds very loudly, makes all kinds of noises, but doesn't print. I have the ON button on. I tried pressing the START button, but that just made a piece of paper run through the printer, and came out blank.
So, in answer to your question, no, it has never worked as far as printing something. I haven't tried scanning or copying yet.

I'll be gone for about an hour and a half--I have Saturday evening Mass, but I'll check back when I get home. Thanks, Bob. I'm glad one of us knows what we're doing, and it isn't me !
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Let's test the printer by printing a demo sheet:
Load 8.5 x 11-in. plain paper in the paper tray.
From the Maintenance menu on the printer control panel, select Print Demo Sheet, the press OK.
Wait for the demo sheet to print.

If it does not print then check paper, and ink to see what is missing.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob,
I did what you told me to do, and it printed the demo, which is a picture of a girl and a dog on an ad for Kodak printers . . .So what am I doing wrong when I try to print? Thank you
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
That proves that the printer works. So now the question why it will not connect to your computer?

Tell me about installing your driver. Do you remember how you installed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Bob,
Did you get my response that the demo worked--if that worked, what am I doing wrong? I didn't know if you got my reply, as I went off line for a bit. What do I need to do to be able to print documents?

What do you mean "my driver" ?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
These are the complete steps;

Go to this page to download your driver;

http://www.kodak.com/global/mul/service/downloads/DownloadLookup.jhtml?pq-path=12998/12999&product=EKN035324

You need to know your OS version so go to APPLE menu and choose ABOUT THIS MAC...

Choose the right driver for your OS Version.

Double click on the download and follow the install instructions.

Open PRINT & FAX from your SYSTEM PREFERENCES.

Remove any reference to your printer and add one back in. When you get to the spot that asks for your driver take care in picking the one you just downloaded.

Print a document.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob,
I already had installed the Mac OS X v10.4 and it is downloaded on my hard drive. When I go under the blue apple and choose About this Mac, it does not give me a choice of an OS version. It just says version 10.4. When I click on that download link you gave me, it starts downloading the same thing that is already downloaded on my computer. I opened PRINT & FAX from SYSTEM PREFERENCES, and removed my Kodak printer, but my Epson printer is still there, as I'm still using it--since I've had this Kodak one for three weeks, paid another $100 to buy the Mac version of 10.4 Tiger, and I still can't use the printer--so there's no way I can print a document. I am SO FRUSTERATED with this, I'm ready to box up this printer and send it back !

Is there a time when you're going to be working where I can just call instead of doing this? I will gladly accept and pay for all of your advice, as I know you are an incredible professional at your job, and I thank you. XXXXX get frusterated like this, I try to put myself in my students' shoes in dealing with a Learning Disability . . .two Bachelor Degrees and a Master's does not help me at all with technology ! ! !
Would you please let me know some times when you're going to be working and what days, as I think maybe I could get this done if you can auditorially walk me through what I need to do. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX .you're great ! LC
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hi Linda,

I agree that talking on the phone is going to be an easier way to solve this. But justanswer.com does not allow contact through any other means than this web site.

Your printer has drivers for every version of Mac OSX there was not a need to upgrade the OS to version 10.4. When you are in the PRINT & FAX Preference did you see a reference to your kodak printer? If you did then installation is almost automatic. If not then it may not be cabled correctly. I have seen people plug in the USB cable to a fax/phone port. Double check that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob,
You told me last week I need to upgrade from my 10.3.9 to 10.4 in order for my printer to work, as I asked you where I could buy the 10.4 version and you suggested E-bay. That's why I spent $100 to get the 10.4 version.
When I went into the PRINT & FAX Preference yesterday, there was a reference to the kodak printer, but then you told me to remove it and then add "one" back in . . .what does that mean? I removed the Kodak printer reference, and my Epson printer is the only one that is in there now. When I go into the Apple menu and choose About this Mac, what shows up is MAC OS X Version 10.4, then in an oval it says "software update", and below that another oval says" more information" .
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Last week Kodak didn't have 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 versions but they are there now.

The version you should have downloaded was 10.4 from this link;

After the download your run the file you downloaded by double clicking on it.

Then you go to your SYSTEM PREFERENCES and open PRINT & FAX

Add a new printer and use the driver from Kodak that you just downloaded.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob,
Finally ! Between downloading everything again for the fourth time, and I jiggled a cable at the back of the printer, and it started to print ! Let me ask you--when the is between pages that it's printing, is it normal that the printer--VERY LOUDLY-- grind, squeal, shake, etc..? It also is not as fast as my Epson printer when it comes to actually printing speed (not that it matters), but I just want to know if it's normal that this printer is extremely loud and squealing as it prints and before it prints. It sounds like it would wake the dead ! I haven't tried the scanning and copying yet. Please let me know if this is normal, or if it sounds like this printer is faulty. I appreciate all of your patience and help.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hi Linda,

Thank you for the payment.
If the printer prints, I don't think it's faulty. My guess is that the load noises happen when the printer cleans it's jets. I think it will get better with use.

I'm glad it's working.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the expertise ! ! You're a life saver AND a sanity saver ! ! ! I'll remain conscious to see if the noise decreases . . .thank you so much. LC
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I'm glad to help.