Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

How do I re install system preferences on a Mac Book Air OS

Customer Question

How do I re install system preferences on a Mac Book Air OS X 10.5.2?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

What happened to the System Preferences file?

Have you tried anything other than Pacifist?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was just cleaning things up in my recycling bin and I deleted it (so dumb, should not be allowed around computers). I have not tried anything else.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

What happened with Pacifist? I would have recommended that first.

Do you have the install disks for 10.5.x?

Did you run Software Update?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the disk for 10.5.2 yes. Pacifist worked great until it came down to actually installing or exporting the file. I found the "System Preferences" package, tried to install it, but came up with a variety of error windows. I have not run Software Update either.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

With Pacifist, I would extract the file to the desktop and then just drag it into the Applications folder.

I also recommend running Software Update first, as there may be an update that will install a newer version of the App without trying to do it yourself.

If all the above fails, let me know, I'll zip mine up and post it for you to download.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing under software update, Ill try Pacifist and see if that works
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alright, now Pacifist is "Quitting Unexpectedly" the last three times I tried opening it.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Try restarting and see if that helps Pacifist.

Meanwhile, I'll zip up my System Prefs app and post it if you need it grab it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I restart my computer can I return to this message board and post more comments/credit you with a satisfied answer?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes no problem.

And here is the link to my prefs file.

you MIGHT have to update through Software Update to 10.5.6 because this is from my 10.5.6 MacBook Pro.

Download and unzip. Drag to your Applications folder.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Who's the man? Mike's the man.

Dragged your preferences in and it fit like a glove.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Greast to hear.

thanks for the Accept and if you need anything else, come on back.