Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I reboot, the first thing you see it an apple logo, and a wheel turning below it.

Well, it keeps that way for HOURS.

This happened after updating some software, as mentioned.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS Installation disks ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, that's how i ran disk utility, from the install CD 1.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Great...since you already done Disk Utlity, Repair permission etc, first we can try simple troubleshooting...

Try Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
Only ACCEPT my answer if it worked... Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, apparently it didn't work - I heard the startup sound twice, the second time louder, as if something was reset... but after that it is the same wheel spinning and spinning...

I will try again, but pls tell me something else to try.

It is my wife computer, so if I don't solve this I will have to buy a new one, get kicked out, divorced or killed... or all of them .....

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Don't Worry, The very important system files of your Mac OS was corrupted during the Update...It can be easily fixed. You said that you have the Mac OS installation disks, we can try the Archive and Install, i mean reinstalling your Mac OS.

Archive and Installation will not delete any of your files, applications,settings etc. But it will just replace the System files with new ones...

Are you ready to do an Archive and Install : Click Here

I promise, Archive and Install will solve your Issue....

Let Me Know how it goes before Accepting....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK, I will try, but first I would like to know if there is any way to backup documents before this. Don't get me wrong, I trust when you say that it will not delete files and the rest, but I have to be sure in case I screw this, of if something else happens.

I was wondering if I can install Mac OS in an USB external drive, and then use Finder to back file up to that drive.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Archive and Install needs your internal hard drive, not external. I think you can install Mac on your external hard drive, but only a Fresh Copy ( I am not sure that you can successfully accomplish this on your external hard disk).

But you can copy/backup all data on your Mac. But it needs another Mac and a FireWire Cable. The process of doing this is called Target Disk Mode.

More about Target Disk Mode : Click Here

Trust me !!!....if you do an Archive and Install in a proper way, you can easily fix it without lossing your files...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok... I'm nervous but Iet's do this...

Please be patient, I will double-check with every doubt I might have.

By the way, I first mentioned that I had Leopard, which I thought, but now I know I have installed 10.4.11 - apparently, the CD installs 10.4.8.

After I agree on the license terms, it shows my HD icon with a "!" yellow triangle, saying this:

"you cannot install Mac OSX on this volume without changing your install setting. Click options to change settings. A newer version of Mac OSX is installed."

Any comments?

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
What can you see in the Options ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Nevermind, it was just telling me that I cannot just Update Mac OSX, that first option is unavailable. Second option is Archive & Install, and third option is Erase & Install.

When I choose Archive & Install, the green arrow appears.

Now I'm movin' on with this, I will let you know.....

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I shared your question with my best friend Mike and he said this...

Click on the hard drive with the triangle and then click on the OPTIONS button below it.
In there you can choose Archive and Install. Also, click on Preserve Settings, very important.
Then close that window and you will be able to continue installing....

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Just to know....everthing fine ?
Did you finished Archive and Install ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for accepting my answer and the bonus. Have a great day