Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I get a warning that my website might have malware. I can

Customer Question

I get a warning that my website might have malware. I can send a screenshot and a pdf file of the Google safe browsing page. I have a Mac and am wondering what I can do to fix my site. Is my Mac infected?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

What you're seeing is an online advertisement designed to trick you into buying anti-malware software, or to try and get you to infect your machine with malware. The good news is, being on a Mac (at this point) means that you're immune to malware like what you are seeing. This may not always be the case, but it nearly always targets Windows machines instead.

If you choose "Block Popup Windows" from the File menu in Safari, it will keep some of those messages from popping up in the future. In Firefox, you can go to File > Preferences > Content and check "Block pop-up windows" to achieve the same effect. It won't block all of the messages, but it will block many of them.

Rest assured - your computer is safe.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That doesn't explain why people trying to visit my website get the following warning:
graphic
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

OH - I misread your original message, my apologies. That error message looks legitimate - how did you create your website? Did you make it on your Mac and upload it?

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I originally created it on my PC, but I now update it using my Mac. I did check the links to a couple of spam comments from my site. I'm guessing that might be the problem but don't know what to do about it.
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

So if I'm understanding correctly, your site is dynamic and has a message board of some sort. If spammers have been posting to that board then those links will get picked up by Google and you'll see that message. Can you clean all of those links off of your site?

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to approve comments. But I did link to a couple of sites from people I didn't know. I wanted to check if they seemed legitimate and not spam. I have now removed those suspicious comments, but the warning still appears. The website in question is http://Customer.com/
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

The link to your website helped a lot. I did some searching and it appears this problem is with Google, who provides Safari's anti-malware support. In order to get your site un-flagged, you need to request a review by following these instructions:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=45432#3

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But is there malware on my site? If there's a problem Google says it will recheck, but why would the problem have disappeared if the malware is still there? I will ask for the review.
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
That's what Google will tell you. They could be flagging the fact that you had links to malware sites on your site, which Google then uses as an indicator that your site has a problem too.

Is there a way you can re-upload your site without wiping out your database?

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know how to do that. The Hostmonster agent said I needed to find some anti-malware software, but when I searched the web the programs seemed to apply only to PCs, not to web sites.

If those links in the comments were the problem I'm probably okay, but presumably Google won't tell me the exact links that were causing the problem. How can I get that information?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've gone to ask for a review, but there is no link for Request a review on the overview page. I have veirified my site with Google.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm lost! I tried going back so I could copy the link and somehow lost track of where we were. I'm not trying to get out of paying but am almost ready to go to bed.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

I would absolutely make sure that the HOST you are using for this site is clean as well.

I cannot tell from your replies if you host this yourself or if you are using an online host, but it could be the machine that is doing the hosting is infected.

Also, it does say you HAD been hosting malware, but nothing says you still are. I think getting Google to follow up with the site is the best advice along with checking the host of your site (if not yourself).

I also agree with Shawn that most likely the links posted were the problem.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting