Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I need help with a MFC 5440cn I get no red or yellow, have

Customer Question

I need help with a MFC 5440cn
I get no red or yellow, have replaced the cartridges, cleaned dozens of times and yet nothing.
What can I do the clean the heads, or start the ink flowing again??
Thanks, Sam
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Does the LCD report no ink as well?

Or is this just no ink at all from those 2 colors?

Have you run the print test page?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The lcd isn't asking for ink, or telling me its low or out.
Just no ink from yellow and megenta.
I have run the test print after cleaning about 30 times so far to no avail.
Is there a way to determine if the print head is broken, or simply dirty or clogged ?
I am able to dismantle this thing to get to the print head and am considering this as others have been able to solve similar problems by soaking it in water or alcohol.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
I will have to opt out of this question then, as I have no knowledge of repairing these printers.

If you can get to it, then yes, a good soak in Alcohol may resolve the issue. But there is always the possibility that the print head has damaged circuits and that may be the underlying cause.

I have always been of the mindset that printers as inexpensive as these are (not belittling your printer choice) it is best to troubleshoot so far and then get a new one.

This is escpecially true with print only units as they are made to be thrown away.

I personally use higher quality machines, like LaserJets from HP, and separate scanner units that I can toss if they fail.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for trying
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Good Luck.