Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

I bought a logitech Quickcam vision pro to use with my emac

I bought a logitech Quickcam vision pro to use with my emac and power book (purchased in 2004) I have gotten a picture a very few times but mostly the report is 'no camera connected'
HelloCustomer

I did a good amount of searching on the 'net about your problem and found a few possible issues. First, what version of Mac OS X are you using? (go to Apple menu -> About This Mac). I found mixed reports about the Vision Pro's compatibility with 10.4.

The easiest possible fix - connect the camera, reboot your computer, and open Skype. Make sure that no other video applications are open at the same time (e.g., iChat, Photo Booth, etc.) as they might conflict with Skype.

If that doesn't work, let's do some general maintenance on your computer. I'd like you to:

1) Run Software Update to make sure all of your drivers are up to date:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1338

2) Repair permissions on your computer to make sure everything is in order:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963?viewlocale=en_US

3) Reboot and try again

Let me know how this works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I check things and I have updated OS to 10.4.11. Is there a webcam recommend for my computer? I bought this at an apple store for $139 sure would like to make it work.   I did not try to go into the permissions thing--I am afraid to try    

It's going to be hard to find a webcam that will work on your computer due to its age - there weren't many Mac-compatible webcams on the market at that point in time. That said, there may be some options.

Before we look for a new webcam though, you really need to repair permissions - it has a good chance of fixing the problem. Permissions control access to files on your computer, and sometimes get corrupted. If the computer can't access its own files, then things - like external webcams - stop working.

The webcam you bought it a good one, and is one of the few on the market for Macs now because every new Mac comes with a built-in webcam.

Here are some more user-friendly instructions on how to repair permissions:

1) In the Finder, choose Go menu > Applications ad double-click on the Utilities folder
2) Double-click on the Disk Utility icon
3) Select your startup disk on the left hand side of the window
4) Select the First Aid tab
5) Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button
6) Reboot

Give that a try and let me know how it works for you.

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Shawn--I have to go for now I hope I can get back to you when I have a chance to try it all. Thanks for the simplified instructions---
Sounds good - let me know it works for you!

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I ran the repair permissions Thanks for the tip. The camera came on--I trust it will continue to work. Thanks again
Until next time \You were a big help THANKS YOU