Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

I am trying to install windows on my Imac with bootcamp and

I am trying to install windows on my Imac with bootcamp and my computer is frozen on the screen that asks for a user name and password. the installation disc is in the computer and when I unplug the computer and turn it on again it starts up in windows and I am unable to proceed with the instillation please help

I'll be glad to try and help you. Let's try and get the installation disk out of the computer first. I'd like you to turn the computer off, hold down the mouse button, and turn the computer back on (don't let go of the mouse button). This should hopefully eject it.

If that works but it still tries to boot into Windows, then follow these instructions:

1) Shut the computer off
2) Hold down the option key
3) Turn the computer back on (while holding the option key - don't let it go)
4) Within 30 seconds the computer should bring up a list of operating systems that you can boot from. Select the Mac OS X option and go from there.

Let me know how that works for you. Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for getting the disc out. But now how do I load Windows onto the mac. I am afraid, that if I restart the instillation, I might end up getting to the same point. I have a factor version of Vista, but do I need another drive disc other that mac?
Hi Beth,

Great, I'm glad the disk is out!

I'm not sure what you mean by a "factor version" of Vista, but you should be able to reinstall using the instructions in Apple's Bootcamp manual:

I recommend starting on page 6 and re-creating the Windows partition to make sure everything is cleared out. Make sure that you have your Mac files backed up before doing this.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay Shawn, I got tried to recreate the second drive, it asked me how much space I wanted, and now there is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner, but nothing is happening
Hi Bill,

Can you give me a bit more information on what you're seeing - are you still in the installer? What color is the screen?

It may just be taking its time to format the partition or drive.

Let me know. Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I started to reinstall windows. The screen I see now says Select the friver to be installed. there is a blank box. Underneath asked if I want to hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer and then it has a browse, rescan and next button on the bottom

Okay, if you've left it sitting for a half hour and it still doesn't make any progress, then it could be one of a few things:

1) The particular version of Vista you have is not compatible with Bootcamp. (Is it a restore CD from a PC, or a full version purchased from Microsoft? Which version is it?)

2) Your Vista disk could be damaged. Check the bottom for scratches and fingerprints, and if there are any try to clean them off with a soft cloth.

3) Things may have gotten corrupted enough on your computer that it's not working. It's a huge hassle, but the last-resort way to get around this is to reformat the entire drive and reinstall both Mac OS X and Vista. THIS IS A LAST RESORT - options 1 and 2 are far more likely.

This kind of thing is not uncommon for installing Bootcamp. I had to do option 3 when I installed it for the first time on my Mac.

Let me know if it works, and if it doesn't, tell me what you learn in #1.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know if you got my last post, but I was saying the my mouse and keyboard are wireless. any thoughts
Hi Bill,

While unlikely, it's possible that the wireless mouse and keyboard might be causing the problem, particularly if they use bluetooth. Do you have any wired USB keyboards and mice that you can plug into the computer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try to get a wired mouse and keyboard, I think that may do the trick. Thank you for your help If I have any more questions, I will surely ask for you. Thank you again