Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Whenever I turn on my G5 tower, it stalls at the gray Apple

Customer Question

Whenever I turn on my G5 tower, it stalls at the gray Apple window for an extended period of time. The fans then proceed to go into hyper gear, getting louder and louder. The computer never exits the initial start up screen. I've tried reseating the RAM and pressing Apple+OPT+P+R and reboot. None of these have worked. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Try this.

To run disk checking utility without booting from a CD/DVD do this:

Shut down your Computer.

Turn it back on and hold down the 'Command' and 'S' keys at the same time

Release the keys when you see a lot of text scrolling up the screen.

When the text stops and the Mac appears to be waiting for something, type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.

Let it finish. If it returns any errors, make a note of them and then run the command again.

When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Let the Mac boot up and then hold the SHIFT key down.

Let the Mac start up and then release the key.

If this works, then it may take a long time to finish. When it does finish, you will be in Safe Mode.

Restart and let it come up normally.

If this does not work, then we will need your disks.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike,

I tried pressing COMMAND+S at start up for about 3 minutes, but no text appeared. Do I need to hold for longer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, got the commands to come up after another restart. Typed in /sbin/fsck -fy, but kept getting errors that look like this:

1st try:
disk0s3: I/O error

2nd try:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib
Referenced from: /bin/sh
Reason: image not found

3rd try:
disk0s3: I/O error
/sbin/fsck -fy
disk0s3: I/O error
disk0s3: I/O timeout.
Referenced from: /bin/sh
Reason: image not found
/sbin/fsck -fy
disk0s3: I/O error
disk0s3: I/O timeout.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hmmmm

Thats not good. It looks like the disk drive is not responding correctly.

Do you have your Install disks or the current disk for the version installed?

We will need them to do further testing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have the install disks as I bought the computer used and the owner wasn't able to furnish them. How do you check if the current disk for the version is installed?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

What that means is the install disk matches the OS X version installed.

You would have to know what version it is if in this type of situation.

However, if you have access to either a Tiger or Leopard (10.4 or 10.5) installer then we can test the drive at least and find out what is going on.

You can also use Disk Warrior or Drive Genius, 2 commercial disk utilities that are very good (better than Apples own) at repairing disks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The OS X version has been upgraded since I first purchased the computer. I believe that Tiger is installed on it. I do have access to an Apple Care Protection Plan CD. Will this do any good? Thanks much.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

yes. You can boot the G5 from that disk and use the testing to determine if it sees the drive and if it can fix anything.

If it cannot see the drive more drastic repair measures may be needed like Disk Warrior or Drive Genius.

Or, it may have failed completely requiring a new one. Let's hope not.