Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Maybe 10% of the time TM gives this alert box. Time Machine

Maybe 10% of the time TM gives this alert box. "Time Machine error. Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

That may be the most frustrating thing about TM I don't like.

I get those errors as well. In my testing/troubleshooting, I have sort of figured it is related to traffic use on the network at the same time as the backup.

In other words, I found that if my Daughter was streaming a video from the Internet or had bought a movie through our DirecTV, then I would see random errors generated on some or all of the Macs in our house.

However, if you are getting these alot, like every other half-hour, then I would investigate the network. Look at what devices are on it and what services they are using. Torrent downloads for example, are very good at using bandwidth and TM can have issues during those times.

It sounds like you are getting what TM should be doing most of the time. I would just start looking at traffic usage during the times when you get these errors and see if they coincide with each other.

If you have a TM backup device that is local (connected directly to the Mac), then I would have to say that drive is going to sleep, or the USB bus/Hub does not provide enoough power to keep the drive on. You should get Finder errors as well if that is the case.

Let me know if you need any more on this.