Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Thunderbird is my preferred email. I have been on vacation

Customer Question

Thunderbird is my preferred email. I have been on vacation and had to use charter.net to get my mail in Tennessee. Now I'm home and want to switch back to Thunderbird but am not able to. Can you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi, can you tell me what is not working?

Is Thunderbird not opening up?

Or do you need to setup your email address again?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thunderbird is opening, but it won't import emails. I just tried again, and it said that "the folder is being processed." This is a new message. Does that mean it's resetting itself?

I'm still able to get my mail directly from charter.net, but I want to switch to Thunderbird. I like it lots better.

Will setting up my email address again help?

Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

If it says it is processing the folder, it sounds like it is synchronizing with the folder(s) online.

So, what you see at charter.net, is being synced up with your Thunderbird at home. It may actually take a while.

See what happens if you let it be for awhile and don't make any changes online while it works.

if it stalls, or never completes, come back and we'll walk though some other things.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now the alert says, "Could not connect to server charter.net; the connection was refused." Maybe this means that what I told you before is no longer the problem?

Thanks so much!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I wonder if you need to check the password XXXXX make sure it is current and correct.

That error means it could not talk to the server. It usually means the password XXXXX XXXXX or, you used a different Charter server in TN.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did use a different server there. Do I need to call my Michigan server, Charter?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
yep.

It sounds like you need to change the server to the one that is needed for where you are now.

Call them and have them give you the correct servers for incoming (POP/IMAP, whichever they want you to use) and outgoing (SMTP) and also any ports needed and security, like password, SSL (they will know what it means) or any other settings.

Then go through the Account settings and make the changes.

That should be all there is.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for your time and help. I appreciate it very much!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem.

If you need any assistance with this after talking to them, come back and reply here and we will continue to help.