Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Why do I feel like my Mac has spyware on it My Mac seems to

Customer Question

Why do I feel like my Mac has spyware on it? My Mac seems to be slowing down and when I click on links to go to websites, it seems to stall and I sometimes have to click twice to get it to go through. I used to have these problems with my PC and I moved to Mac because I was told that Mac users don't experience those kinds of slow downs. Is there something I can do to improve this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I tihnk i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually Mac have only small amount of viruses or spywares than PC.
Do you know ? PC has more than 100000+++ viruses and spywares. Macs will not affect any virus or trojans if you regularly update your Softwares. Anyway we can try some easy methods to make your Mac faster...

First We need to check, if any programs are running on the background...

So you need to startup in SafeMode and Remove unwanted Startup items !

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator

Then goto System Preferences>Accounts and click Login Items and uncheck or remove them all...
Then restart now (now you don't have restart in Safe Mode)

Let Me Know how it goes before Accepting....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are happy with my answer, please click ACCEPT. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
If the above answer didn't solved the problem, try this also :

Running Disk Utility

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
• Once on the Installer screen, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.
• Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
• Click the First Aid tab.
• Select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Reset PRAM and NVRAM : Click Here

If everything failed then its better to do an Archive and Install of Mac OS, basically it means Reinstalling Mac OS. I think your OS files are corrupted and its recommended to reinstall Mac OS. Don't worry Archive and Install will not delete any of your files, settings, applications etc. Its just replace the OS files with new one.

Let me know the results before Accepting my answer....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, Ashik. That did not do anything. However, I think I may have found the culprit on my own. I have an external hard drive that Time Machine uses to backup my files. When it is on, the machine seems to move slower but when it is off, the Mac seems much faster and less active all the time. I think I'll test this for a while and see if that helps.