Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

My printer works just fine, through Mac, but when I switch

My printer works just fine, through Mac, but when I switch over to Fusion I can't get it to print. Can you help me pleasse today is PAY DAY. Thank you Susie
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I suggest you to delete the existing printer in the control panel of
the guest OS and reconfigure the printer.

"Please go through the below steps to configure the printer in Virtual
Machine.

A. Steps to configure the Virtual Machine to "NAT" network mode.

a)     Go to VMware Fusion settings

b)     Click on "Network"

c)     Enable "NAT" Mode

d)     Click on "OK"

e)     Reboot the VM (Don't suspend)

B. Steps to configure the Printer.

1.     Share the printer in Host Mac OS X by going to System Preference >
Sharing

2.     Select the printer to Share the printer (ensure that you are able to
print in Host Mac OS)

3.     Also enable (Windows Sharing) SMB sharing in System Preferences

a. Click on System Preference > Sharing

b. Click on the "File Sharing" and then click on "Options"

c. Enable "Share files and folder using SMB" and select your "User
Name"

d. Check mark on the "User Name" and click on "Done"

4.     Launch VMware Fusion and Power on Windows VM

5.     In Windows Guest OS, Click Windows Start > Run

6.     Key In \\IPaddress of Host Mac (for e.g. \\10.0.0.17)

7.     Now you can access your Host shared printer in Windows OS

8.     Right click on printer and select open/Connect

9.     It will ask you to install printer drivers

10.     Install Latest Printer driver available for Windows OS and check if
you can print from Windows Virtual Machine

"If the problem still persists, please go through the below steps.

A. Please go through the below steps to configure the network

a)     Go to Fusion setting

b)     Go to "Network"

c)     Enable "Bridge" Mode

d)     Click on "OK"

e)     Reboot the VM (Don't suspend)

B. Go through the below steps to configure the network printer

a)     Go to guest OS and click on "Start"

b)     Then click on "Settings" and then "Printers and faxes"

c)     Click on "File" and select "Add Printer"

d)     Follow the Printer Wizard

e)     Click on "A network printer" and then "Next"

f)     Click "Connect to this (or to browse for printer, select this option
and click next) the first option.

g)     Key in the IP address of the printer followed by "\\"

h)     Click on "Next"

i)     Install the latest printer driver

j)     Now test the printer by printing the documents"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bob I don't see an "OK" to click or anything about enabling a "Bridge" Mode. Sorry I don't mean to be a twit.

ThanksCustomer

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry maybe there are different versions out there them mine.

I found that running Virtual BootCamp XP I did not see my Windows shares and could not print as you indicate.

I opened a cmd window and ran "ipconfig" and saw the sub-net ip address of 172... something (my local sub-net is 192.168.0.n).

That was the problem.

Went to VMware, Virtual Machine pull down, to Network and changed from NAT to Bridged.

Closed the menus, closed Window Explorer. Opened a cmd window, ran "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" and was pleased to see a 192... ip address was now assigned.

Reopened Window Explorer and there were my Window shares. And printing worked (because now everything is on the same sub-net).
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bob, sorry I'm getting very frustrated here (I also admit I know nothing about computers) Can I call you & have you try & walk me throug this?

thenewshhop

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Our service requires that we do what we can through this forum. I believe you can be working if someone could change the VMware from NAT to Bridged. Do you have anyone who help with IT?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No not at this time, I'm on my own right now.

Customer/p>