Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

how do I get a ringtone from itunes onto my iphone, when i

how do I get a ringtone from itunes onto my iphone, when i click on a song it doesn't give me the "create ringtone" option?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Step 1 Open iTunes.

Step 2 Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.

Step 3 Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use. The chorus may be a good place to start.

Step 4 Write down the start and stop times of the clip.

Step 5 Right-click the song and select "Get Info."

Step 6 Click the "Options" tab.

Step 7 Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e. 2:01) format.

Step 8 Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 40 seconds long.

Step 9 Click "OK".

Step 10 Right-click your song again and select "Convert Selection to AAC". Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.

Step 11 Right-click the ringtone and select "Delete".

Step 12 Click on the "Keep Files" button.

Step 13 Find the file. It's usually in your User folder under Music > iTunes > iTunes Music and under the band's name. It will have an extension of "m4a."

Step 14 Replace the "m4a" extension of your ringtone with "m4r". You can either double-click slowly to re-name your file, or right-click and select "Get Info" on a Mac or "Rename" on a Windows PC.

Step 15 Click "Use .m4r" or the PC equivalent when the system warns you that the change may affect the use of your file.

Step 16 Double-click the ringtone file. ITunes will automatically add it to your ringtones folder in your iTunes Music Library.

Step 17 Connect your iPhone and sync your ringtones.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
These instructions would work on a P.C., but I don't believe that you are a Mac expert, you must realisze that your "right click" thing doesn't work with Mac, and control doesn't work and therefore some of your further ideas don't work. No. 11 doesn't work because step no. 10 doesn't work because there is no "convert selection to AAC option - there is only a create which doesn't work.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
If you're using a song from your iTunes library, just open GarageBand, open iTunes, and simply drag and drop the song from iTunes to a new track in GarageBand.
Now click the Cycle Region button pictured above, which will activate the region loop tool.
Now adjust the length of the region to the section of the song you want to export to iTunes as a ringtone (40 seconds long or less), again as pictured above.
Finally, when you've got everything set the way you want it, just go to the menu bar and click Share -> Send Ringtone to iTunes. GarageBand will automatically convert the song to the proper format and sync it to your iTunes library as a Ringtone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob. I couldn't follow your instructions without the extreme help of my techy son who is practically never with us.   I would NEVER have managed to do anything that your instructions said unless he had been here.
SO please let me know why I should pay you?   I am waiting for your reply.

Note from Son : I suspect the version of garageband that my mother was using was different as the buttons were not as indicated in your instructions. I managed to get it to work by scanning the available options in the program for the right thing but if I had done that anyway then I would have been able to work this out without your help. To me this suggests your help wasn't entirely necessary.

Mother again:   I'm worried about whether this whole thing is legal too, as ringtones usually cost?   Please reply to me and my son.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what's legal. If you have purchased a song you should be able to listen to it.
You asked for my advise without sharing with me what version of anything you had. I tied my best to answer your question with speed and professionalism. It is up to you to decide what it's worth.

Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.