Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

Quickbooks Pro 2009 for Mac will not allow me to print, email

Customer Question

Quickbooks Pro 2009 for Mac will not allow me to print, email or create a pdf of any invoice. This is a bit of a problem since I can't bill anyone!!! HELP! I called Intuit but they could not help me. I think I'll follow other members of this site and not upgrade any more!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
The problem sounds like it all related to your printer setup. Can you print from any other application?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, everything else prints just fine. Quickbooks used to print, also but this upgrade is not doing me kindly!
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I'm stuck. The printing is controlled by drivers that are independant of any application. If it works in one application it should work in all of them.

Can you install the update again?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did, twice...and I downloaded the updates that came out after it. It boggles my mind that it won't print. But not only that, I can't even PDF it or email it.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I can't find anybody out on the Internet that has had this problem. So let try a different route.

Open APPLICATIONS - UTILITIES - DISK UTILITY.   Click on the hard drive in the left column and click the button REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS.

Open a FINDER window and navigate to ~/Library/Application Support tell me what you have there for Quickbooks.

Navigate to ~Library/Preferences and tell me what you have there that says quickbooks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I ran the disk utility...no print success. The finder window application support folder contains 3 folders for quickbooks. Addressbook-bak, Backups and Downloads. Preferences contains a list of files that are named for my company and all look the same but have different numbers in their names. Also there are two files that say Quickbooks 6 preferences and Quickbooks 6 print settings.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Quit Quickbook. From Preferences move the QuickBooks Print Setting to the desktop. Relaunch Quickbooks and try to print.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No luck. I also tried to PDF it or email it. No luck. This is just baffling. It has always worked just fine in the past. Nothing else has changed except the upgrade. If you have any other ideas, feel free to share. I have seen lots of people on the web talking about issues with QB Pro 2009 with printing issues, but most of them are Windows issues.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Make sure you have all the Apple Updates. From APPLE menu choose APPLE UPDATES...

It is so strange that Quickbooks it the only thing that will not print.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's up to date, too!
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
We have never talked about which Mac OS version you have. I am wondering if you have a bad print job stuck in your print cue. Can you do this?

1. Open Print Center (/Applications/Utilities/). The Printer List window appears. If you want to delete a job, choose Show Queue from the Printers menu.
2. Select the printer or print job from the desired list.
3. Click Delete.

If you can't do that it just means you have a more current OS. In that case can you see a printer on your dock? If so open that printer and see if you have a job there that can be deleted.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The print cue is empty. I decided to take matters in to my own hands and made a change that worked. I changed the style of invoice format from a custom version to a software standard and that seemed to do the trick. So for you records, if you use a customized invoice format, the print, email and PDF functions may not work. Use a QB standard format and that should do it. Thanks for your help. I will accept your answer, even though it didn't work to compensate you for your time. Leslie
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!