Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

I plugged earphones into my iPhone and now there is no volume

I plugged earphones into my iPhone and now there is no volume on the phone. It sounds muted when the erphones aren't plugged in.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
The iPhone’s headphone input has a small sensor inside of it that, when covered (ie by lint), prevents the phone from activating the headphone’s microphone and other functions. If you have a can of compressed air - insert it into the jack’s opening and blow… making sure to tilt throughout the entire area.

If you don’t have compressed air, the hack-ish solution is take your heaphones and insert it into the iPhone repeatedly and quickly. It should clear up the sensor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry. The question wasn't answered. The iPhone volume works WITH headhones, not without. With headphones three is volume. Without, there is not
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The volume work with the headphones, not without. Therefore the answer makes no sense. It seems that the phone is in some headphone mode and can not be used without it.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
I think you misunderstood my answer. If you have headphone plugged in No sound from the speakers because the sound is being redirected to the headphones. If the sensor is blocked, the iPhone thinks headphones are plugged in no sound to the speakers because the iPhone is redirecting the sound to the headphones that it thinks it there.

Clean out the sensor and sound will be restored.