MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I was typing a paper in word and accidentally clicked dont

Customer Question

I was typing a paper in word and accidentally clicked "don't save" when closing it, is there any way to retrieve it?! HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What version of Microsoft Office for Mac are you using?

• When you first created this document in Word, was this the first time you were attempting to save the document, or had you previously saved it at least one time before you accidentally clicked Don't Save, when closing the document?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Version Mac OS X 10.5.6
This was a new document and I had not saved the document previously..
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, if there was no previous copy made of the document you were working on, there is no way to retrieve the work you had just completed with the document in question.

Consequently as well, with the document never being saved since creating it, by not saving it initially, by clicking "Don't Save", you actually erased the document as if it never existed.

I asked in my first question, what version of Microsoft Office for Mac did you have, only because if you had version 2008 of Word, there is an autorecovery function built in to the application, but it only works, now that I think further about that function, only if the Word application as a whole, abruptly quits while you are working on.

So again, the document, if you have no previous copy of it, means that it was not saved to the Clipboard (which holds the memory of a document in Word) and therefore is gone.

I have done this a number of times myself, to the extent that now, to make sure I don't run into that issue, depending on the version of Microsoft for Mac that I am using (I have both)--

• I will make sure the Auto-recover feature is on in the Word>Preferences setting

graphic

as well as Always create a backup copy checkbox is checked.

(Screenshots are taken from Microsoft Office for Mac v2008)
graphic

• This way for future experiences, you will always have a backup copy of your work and the Auto-Recover function is active in the event of issues with the Word Application occurs.

graphic

I realize this does not bring your document back, but I hope this information,
will allow you to be prepared in the event something happens to the Word application while you are working on it or if you have to reboot your Mac because it has frozen up on you, for example.

Please let me know, if I can answer more questions for you on this issue as I am always ready to assist.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

-TD