MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

my imac constantly keeps freezing up. why

Customer Question

my imac constantly keeps freezing up. why?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :

• What version of Mac OS X you are using? (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" or "Mac OS X 10.4.11" etc -
If unsure how to verify what version of Mac OS X you have- do this:Click on Apple Menu icon - Upper left corner of your screen and select "About this Mac from the menu- The little window that pops up will reveal what version you have)

• When you first experienced the freezing issue, were you experiencing this with a specific application that was open at the time?

• Or was from your perspective, any time you accessed your desktop no matter what you were working on?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question. Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model Name:     iMac
Model Identifier:     iMac5,1
Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:     2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors:     1
Total Number Of Cores:     2
L2 Cache (per processor):     4 MB
Memory:     1 GB
Bus Speed:     667 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version:     1.9f4
=================================

It started a few weeks ago and I was in Java playing on a poker site. My kids see the problem when they are on using the popular websites or just doing homework. Within 10 - 20 minutes of getting on it will freeze up.

When it freezes the pinwheel will spin and the mouse will be free, other times the mouse will freeze then the pinwheel will spin.

I could have a couple of windows open and if I Minimize it, on the way down or up it freezes.

If I'm watching something or playing on a site I can sometimes hear the game playing but everything frozen.

I was thinking maybe It was a corupt file or files but it could be anything.

I clean up using mac tuneup and it still happens just maybe not as fast. either way at one point it will freeze up

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Considering you have run Mac Cleanup, one other recommendation I can make is for you, if you have your Mac OS X Installation disc, is to try this process of repairing your hard drive and Mac OS X volume using the built-in utility from Mac OS X, Disk Utility.

-RUNNING DISK UTILITY FROM STARTUP DISC-

•Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your Mac,
then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• Keep holding the C key until you see the White screen, Grey apple and eventually the Spinning gear.
•When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Allow your Macto continue the booting to the CD.
• You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
• Once in the Installer environment, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.

•Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the
Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to
access Disk Utility.

• Click the First Aid tab.

• Select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop
• Observe your Mac for any change in performance
• You may also want to run your Software Updater, to make sure your Mac OS X is update completely as well.

Let me know if this helps. I will be watching for your reply. Thanks!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got 1 error message

could not repair 1 volumn

Thanks for the update. I had a feeling this was going to be a possibility.

Would you mind trying that Disk Repair once more?

I want to see if that same message will repeat-
( I tend to test 2-3 times or more myself- just to see if Disk Utility may repair a permission or damaged file/folder it missed the first round- this is just what I do- it is actually not necessary to go more than twice)

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same thing

This is complete message i wrote it down

Pop up window says      First Aid Failed

In the repair window in red
----------------
invalid sibling link
volume check failed

Task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

1 volume could not be checked because of an error

Thanks for trying this process again.

By the looks of this issue, you very well may have a damaged Mac OS X volume. What this means is not that your hard drive is in any danger, it just means you will need to replace your current Mac OS X directory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what is what you will need to do:

So in order to fix this, you are going to have to perform an Archive and Install which will simply remove your corrupted directory and will not harm the files in your current Home folder.

--In order to perform an Archive and Install---

• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD.
• Restart you Mac, and the hold the C key on your keyboard.
• Allow the White screen and gray Apple to appear and once you see the spinning
gear, release the C key
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you are in the Installer environment:

-SETTING UP ARCHIVE AND INSTALL-
• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.
• Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
• After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The
Software License Agreement window appears.

• After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.

• Click the volume that you wish to install to.
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Select Archive and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
• You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to
preserve your network and Home directory settings.
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
-LOCATING PREVIOUS SYSTEM FOLDER-

Once the Archive and Install is completed: You can access your Previous system folder (your former Home folder) on the your Macintosh HD. I have placed a link below, to show you how to access the Previous System Folder.

NOTE: Before locating your previous Home Folder, click on Apple menu icon and select Software Updates and run all of the updates you can. This way it will bring your Macbook up to date.

(Click the link below. If the link does not open, simply copy the link and paste it in the address bar of your web browser -Safari, Firefox, etc.)

Locating Previous System Home Folder (after Archive & Install)

This should end the freezing issue as you will have a brand new Mac OSX directory , that is updated and fully functional once again.

Thank you very much for being patient with me as I assist you in this process.
If you have more questions on this issue, please continue to reply to this post.

Warmest Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just reinstalled and when it finished i got the message

there were errors on intstallation please install again.

the message was not highlighted or anything like that. If I wasn't paying attention i could have missed it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not frozen yet today so for now it seems ok.

What else can I do to further check this machine out?

If you have any more thoughts please forward them.

I appreciate your time.