Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

After starting up, a tiny folder appears in the middle of the

After starting up, a tiny folder appears in the middle of the screen with an Apple face alternating with a question mark. The computer is otherwise frozen. Shuts down, always come back to that damn folder!
It means that the system files can not load properly to start up your Mac.
It usually happens because files were not properly closed during the last session due to improper shutdown or a power failure.

The solution is to reinstall the system files from your system CD that came with your computer.
Insert the CD and restart your computer. Immediately press and hold the C key on your keyboard. This will instruct the computer to startup from the CD. Follow the prompts to UPDATE your computer. Do not use the Clean and Install because it will delete all your files. Do worry it will prompt you that ALL your files will be deleted if you proceed, don't do that.

After you boot back up, get all the update from APPLE UPDATES... under your APPLE menu. Keep going back to Apple update until you see a message that says "your system is up to date"

Let me know if you need help.