Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

Im trying to use Thunderbird email client on my iMac. I set

I'm trying to use Thunderbird email client on my iMac. I set it up exactly the same way I had Apple's Mail and MS Entourage set up including the same SMTP server for my wireless connection. Thunderbird keeps asking me for the password XXXXX the SMTP server. (Isn't it the same as for incoming mail?) I went to the ISP's website and found that they changed the outgoing mail name from to, the same as for incoming. A. could this be the problem Thunderbird has for not sending out mail, and B. Thunderbird doesn't have a text entry field for changing the SMTP name once the account is created– do you know if there is a way to change the name without having to recreate the whole account? OBTW, both Mail and Entourage kept sending mail OK with the old SMTP identity. Thank you for your help.
I have run across this issue before. You mail provider changed the SMTP server name but grandfathered all the old connection to work with the old name. They just don't allow new connections to use the old address.

Here is a tutorial about changing the outgoing server setting in Thunderbird for the PC but the same field apply for the Mac.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much; will give it a try.
ok, let me know