sandypcnut1
sandypcnut1, Mac Tech
Experience:  used and repaired macs

I just received this computer with no book or disc for setting

Customer Question

I just received this computer with no book or disc for setting up to use. I have an internet connection through Brighthouse. This is not the type of computer l'm used to...please help me identify the steps to take to get on the internet..or is there a book to help me? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  sandypcnut1 replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mc

1.What is the name of you MAC...what version

2. Are you connecting to the internet through DSL or Cable

3.

Wireless or direct to ethernet cable

Thanks, Sandy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Sandy,

It's version MAC OS 9.2.2. The internet connection is Cable direct to ethernet. I am doing this for my daughter..and it's her cell phone # XXXXX text msgs. She has no set up disc included w/this computer. Does she need that to enable features showing disabled?

Thanks,
Kris

Hi Kris, let me get you some steps to follow....give me a few minutes please

Sandy

Connecting via cable modem

Get this information from your ISP

• Domain Name Server (DNS) addresses.
  • Whether you should choose DHCP or manual IP address configuration,

For manual configuration, you need to find this information first

• IP address
  • Router address
  • Subnet mask

TO GET THE INFO

Open the Network Utility.

Once there, click the Lookup tab.

In the field under "Please enter an internet address to lookup"

enter the IP address or domain name of the computer you are looking up.

In the pop-up menu next to "Select the information to lookup

select Default Information.

Click Lookup.

You need to know also that your ISP or local network may provide DNS addresses automatically.

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

From the View menu, choose Network.

Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu

(this is the Configure pop-up menu prior to Mac OS X 10.1).

Click the TCP/IP tab

Choose either Manually or

Using DHCP from the Configure pop-up menu, depending on how your ISP sets you internet connection up

Enter the rest of the information you gathered in Step 1 where you see the fields

Unless your ISP instructs you otherwise, you can ignore the

DHCP Client ID field and the Search Domains field.

Click Apply Now.

Open IE and see if you are on the internet.

If you use AirPort

Open IE mac explorer 5.1 make sure that the computer connects to the Internet.

If all goes well and you are able to connect to the internet, physically connect the base station to the network.

Unplug the cable modem's power cord for a few seconds, then plug it back in.

Use the AirPort Setup Assistant (under Applications/Utilities/) to copy the computer's settings to the base station

Thanks,Sandy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Sandy,

As my daughter and l don't live in same house but close to each other, I'm taking this information to her to try. I will let you know how it works out. If it does I will click on accept from this email.

Thanks,
Kris

Kris,

let me know how it goes either way, if you need further help I will be here

Sandy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for all of your help Sandy. Unfortunately, my daughter found out through someone the internet provider told her to call...that the whole thing needs to be updated. I guess that's why your great instructions didn't help us. Thanks again for your patience with us. Nothing we tried, including your instructions, helped us. She has to update this one or buy new.

Kris Highland

Hi Kris

If you need further assistance let me know, since I did this all fro free...if you would like to leave positive feedback, I would appreciate it.

Sandy