Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have some of photos, downloaded from an older version of

Customer Question

I have some of photos, downloaded from an older version of iPhoto, on a jump drive. My current iPhoto will not open the photos...it is saying that they are not compatible. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

You are correct, it is incompatible. Most times when Apple releases a new version, not just an update, there is a 'upgrading your library...' process that happens.

What you will need to do is re-import those pictures back into iPhoto.

If you have a 2 button mouse, right-click on the icon on your Jump drive. A menu will show up. In there, choose Show Package Contents.

You will see a listing of the items in that Package. Look for a folder called Originals and a folder called Modified. Your Pictures are in Originals and the ones you rotated, changed contrast, brightness, etc... are also in Modified WITH those changes.

Drag the Originals out and drop them onto the iPhoto icon in the Dock or in the open Library window. It should start to import them. This is only a copy and the photos will stay on the jump drive while copies are made on the hard drive.

If you want the changes as well then quit iPhoto, right-click on the iPhoto Library icon in your Pictures folder and drop the Modified pictures from the jump drive to the hard drive folder.

Open iPhoto again and your new imports should also have their changes associated now.

NOTE: if you only have a one button mouse, you can get the 'right-click' menu by holding the CONTROL key down and clicking on the icons.
Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It appears that I copied the application as well because just "iPhoto" shows up on the screen...no menu appears, and I am unable to open anything because of the message about it being an older version.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, if you opened the package, then there is no application. It is just the Library.

the application is in the Applications folder, not on the jump drive.

Were you able to Show Package Contents? Did you see the Originals Folder?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, no "Show Package Contents" and no "Originals" folder
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Then you must have the original iPhoto style folders. The Originals were storedin the same folder as the Library. Newer versions of iPhoto have them all packaged together.

Are you sure you can see the pics on the jump drive? Because there should be a folder that clearly has the pics in it on that drive.