MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

iMac internet access and iTouch 2g internet access and air

Customer Question

iMac internet access and iTouch 2g internet access and air tunes have been working fine through Airport Express. Comcast modem went down and was replaced. iTouch 2g is working for air tunes but is no longer connecting to the internet. iMac is connecting to the internet. What has changed? How do I fix?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• You mentioned Comcast modem was replaced. So am I correct to understand that you have a new Comcast replacement modem?

• Lastly what model of Mac do you have?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mac 10.4.11

Yes, new comcast replacement modem

iMac5,1
Thanks for your reply.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,

-POWER CYCLE MODEM-
• Take the power plug and disconnect from back of cable modem or from the
wall outlet.
• Keep modem disconnected for approx 30 seconds.
• Disconnect your ethernet cable from your Mac and reboot.
• After 30 seconds reconnect the power plug back into modem (or plug power cord
back into wall outlet). (Allow all lights on modem to come on before connecting
ethernet cable back into your Mac
)
• Once Mac is booted back up, reconnect ethernet back to your Mac
• Open on of your web browsers and see if you can get online.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post, as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The issue is not with the mac. The issue is with iTouch iPod. It will no longer access internet through that wireless network since the modem was replaced.

The Modem is connected to Airport Express. Airport Express is sending wireless connection to the MAC, but the iTouch will not connect to that wireless network for internet access like it did before the modem was replaced. iTouch message: "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet".

Yet, the iTouch is using airport express to run iTunes remotly.
Sorry about that, my error in misreading your question I got the Mac reversed with the iPod Touch in regards XXXXX XXXXX connecting to the Internet. Not a problem though I can help.

Here is what I need to know:

• Click on the Settings icon on your iPod Touch
• Under Wi-Fi do you see the name of your Airport Wireless network listed?
- Or does it say Not Connected?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You, yes.
The wireless network is listed on the iPod Touch and I see the connection icon. I Can also operate iTunes on the MAc using the iPod Touch as a remote and I believe the Airport Express is the vehicle for that connection from iPod touch to the Mac?
Appreciate your patience.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX first part of your question the answer is yes.
You can use your iPod Touch as a remote for iTunes.
Here is the link for the step-by-step process youcan use for your iPod Touch
in order to set up the Remote feature for using the device with iTunes.

Remote for iPod Touch and iPhone

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have an Airport Express Network setup on your Mac and it is is seen as the primary connection for your Mac, then that is the vehicle for connection for both you iPod Touch and your Mac. I state this only because the Airport Express* is the Wi-Fi network you are using to access the Internet on your Mac. This should also impact your iPod Touch as well.
* (The only exception to this is, if you have a wireless router you are also using besides the Airport Express.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way since having this connectivity issue to the internet with your iPod Touch, have you attempted to reset you iPod Touch to see if this would help in allowing you to connect via Safari on the iPod? (Just verifying if this is one of the steps you have tried while troubleshooting this issue)

I also wanted to provide you this Apple article, that may be of some assistance
to you in regards XXXXX XXXXX a wireless network, but still unable to surf the web on your iPod Touch. I would have been glad to go step by step, but Apple provides 6 simple troubleshooting scenarios and so they have already taken care of that part.

iPod Touch/iPhone Wi-Fi (Troubleshooting tips)

Let me know if any of these steps help.

I will be watching for your update. Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try these things in about 9 hours
That is quite a lengthy time to troubleshoot such a small device! (lol)

Not a problem at all. When you need more assistance or if what information I have provided already, does help, please feel free to just reply back to this post anytime.

Thank you again, for trusting my ability to assist you and for being willing to try some of these processes out to eventually start accesses your iPod Touch.

Regards,

TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of these things are related to or resolve the issue. I am going to pursue another route through ComCast.
Thanks for your reply.

However, I have to ask, if you are able to use Airtunes with your iPod Touch but are unable to connect to the Internet via the Safari on your iPod, but can connect with your Mac (via Airport Express network), I need more clarity from you.
Which leads to inquire as to why you believe the information I have provided you is not related to the questions you asked?

I am here to help, but I am only as effective in assisting you per the genuine scope of your question.

The previous post was developed to answer your most recent question:

When you mentioned you were going to try the steps in 9 hours, I was under the impression, what I provided you from my last post yesterday, was agreeable and you were going to attempt those steps and then reply back to me.

If I missed something, please let me know. I would be glad to continue assisting you,
but I must admit, I took some time carefully reading your most recent question, and took more time to carefully provide solid steps to help you resolve the issue. If possible, I like to complete what I started with you if you so desire.

I am a Comcast Business Class customer myself and I know their network system and iPod Touch/iPhone products well, so if you want to keep working at this, again, just reply back to this post.
Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went through all that you provided. It did not resolve. I called comcast and they walked me through it and resolved the issue which involved the modem ID
I am glad your issue has been resolved and thank you for taking the time to reply back to my previous post.

As I now understand, from what you just provided, the iPod Touch 2g you have was not connecting to the Internet because Comcast did not recognize Modem ID for your new router they replaced for you.(I also wondering if the iPod Touch's MAC address not being seen may have been an issue? -just curious)

Again, I appreciate that bit of information you provided, as it will be very helpful for me to assist other Comcast customers who are Mac user, that may experience this same issue as you in future cases.

Now one last detail for you. If you have not done so already, because I did not provide the final answer for you, you can redeem your Deposit, by contacting JustAnswer Customer Service at:(NNN) NNN-NNNNx 4 - Monday thru Friday, 9am-6pm Pacific Time.

Thank you again for contacting JustAnswer.com (Mac). We hope this will be your first stop when you encounter any issue with your Mac that you have questions about.

Best Regards,

-TD