Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

How do I get a Maxtor Turbo III external drive to mount using MAC OS X

I have a Maxtor Turbo III 1.5TB external drive. I've been using it for about a year without a problem. The drive is used exclusively for Time Machine, MAC OSX 10.5. A few weeks ago I started having a problem where the drive intermittently does not mount. I just bought a new Firewire 800 cable and the drive mounted for 3 days, then today it would not mount again. Any suggestions? Thank you,
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Have you used DISK FIRST AID?

Navigate to APPLICATIONS - UTILITIES - DISK UTILITY

Click on your external drive in the left column then click on REPAIR DISK.

When that finishes choose VERIFY DISK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cannot use Disk Utility because the Maxtor is not reognised (mounted) on my MAC.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Go back to disk utility. If you can't see the drive on the list then unplug the firewire connection and plug it back until you see it in the list. Then highlight the drive and click the MOUNT button on the top.

If you are not able to ever see the drive, try it on a PC if that doesn't work you'll need repair/replacement.

Then try the repair options above.

You said that the drive is only used for time machine. You might want to reformat it for MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNALED.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
April 6, 2009
This morning the drive mounted… Time Machine went into action and backed up my 2 internal drives. It took a couple of hours. Then I loaded Disk Utility and ran “Disk Repair”. The repair failed. With the message “Filesystem verify or repair failed” - The messages I received in red were “Incorrect number of hard links”, “Invalid catalog record type”, “volume check failed” and “Error: filesystem verify or repair failed” I noticed that there is a folder under the MaxtorTB drive designator titled “disk3s2” which shows “Mount Point: Not mounted”… not sure if this is a problem. (By the way… the drive was formatted as MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNALED” when placed into use last June) (as you suggested).

I took some screen caps of the disk utility (and created a pdf) for your convenience, they are on my antiques shop website.

http://www.ferndaleantiques.net/tech_support/Maxtor_DU__4-6-09_screen_caps.pdf

Please tell me how to proceed. At this point I am afraid the drive is not stable.

Thank you
Rich Delia
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rich,

It sounds like you are close. The science of Hard Drives is a whole specialty in itself. I'm not sure if you could repair the problems with a few passes of REPAIR DISK or not. It's also possible that 1.4 terabytes is too much for your machine to handle and it needs to be partitioned into chunks that your computer can handle. Someone at Seagate could tell you for sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Bob --

a set back... since I wrote to you this morning... I restarted the computer some time during the day and have not been able to mount the drive again. I tried everything you said, launch disk utility, plug and unplug the Firewire cable, even powered off and on the drive. It just won't show up on disk utility or mount on the desktop. If I have a chance tomorrow I will try to contact Seagate, but I think I can only work with them through a tech support form. Not sure if they have a contact phone number. If you know of one, would you be so kind as to share it with me. Wish me luck. Thanks for your patience and help. I am just about at wits end with this issue. regards, Rich
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Bob --

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Rich,

I think it's 80% that you have hardware troubles. Talking with Seagate is the right approach.

Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I spoke with Seagate. They said that I needed to clean the drive using a Windows Machine. I borrowed a laptop from a friend, but the drive would not mount on his machine either. I was unable to get the drive with the disk list command. So last week I spoke to Seagate again, they will replace the drive. Thank you for your help. kindest regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!