Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

mac computer wont go on

Customer Question

my mac computer shut off and now theres a folder with a question mark in it popping up instead of loading .. now when i do get it on (a million try's later) , it only stays open with limewire .. now it went off and it wont go past the folder .. what can i do to turn my $1200 computer back on ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
You will need the system CD that came with your computer. Insert the CD and restart your computer. As soon as you hear the Mac Chime press and hold the C key, to instruct the computer to boot from the CD.
Follow the prompts to restore the system files to your hard drive.

After you reboot successfully, make sure to go back to APPLE UDATES... multiple times until you get a message that your system is up to date.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what if i dont have the cd ? .. i bought the computer like 2 years ago , it probably lost by now ?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
BIG problem. The CD is very important. If you can't find yours you'll need to get another. Apple Customer Service sells them or you can get a better deal on eBay. The latest version is 10.5.xx once you have any version of 10.5 you can get all the updates online from APPLE UPDATES... under your APPLE menu.