Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

my macs drag and drop function is locked up I cant move anything.

Customer Question

my macs drag and drop function is locked up I can't move anything. all my files open up, I can use the computer but nothing moves. can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
You want to make sure you are in a FINDER window to drag and drop. Sometime I have seen people in an OPEN or SAVE dialog box trying to drag and drop but that won't work.

It is possible that you have something wrong with a mouse or mousepad.

In System Preferences under Keyboard/Mouse, look in Trackpad. There you should see Trackpad Gestures... Do you have Dragging and Drag Lock checked? All mine are checked except Ignore Trackpad when mouse is present.
I have found if I remove an option from the trackpad, so goes the mouse. They mimic each other. So I have given full rights to both.

If it's still not solved move this file to your desktop;

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no track pad on thye home computer, I was told to go into finder and type in TRUE but nothing happens there either, there is no setting saying lock on mouse functions this I MAC computer is 3 yrs old. I don't know if this will help us both but if I go to the top left and click on Safari or finder or anything like that where the drop down menu is under Services nothing happens there either it used to give me a few choices like grab, or script, and some things were greyed out however it will not open that now, and I think it's all part of the same problem.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
OK you don't have a trackpad but you made no mention of my other instructions;

Delete the icon cache found in /Library/Caches/ whose name is ""

Next, delete these files from the Preference folder located here;

Restart the machine
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the first instuctions would not work, as for this one how I found Library caches but thwere is no file called

I'm looking for the other ones now