Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I have a MacBook pro OS 10.5.6, HP 460c Compact deskjet(2007),

Customer Question

I have a MacBook pro OS 10.5.6, HP 460c Compact deskjet(2007), HP Bluetooth printer card. For some reason the last line of a printed page is cut in half on a document that I regularly print (margins are all okay). If I print the same document using USB no problem. This also occurs with different programs. I have been printing via Bluetooth printer card for a year now and this just started. I reset the printer, turned everything off, unplugged the printer card. Deleted the printer from the bluetooth list then added it again. HP tech support was useless.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

I would perform a sample test document from the printer buttons to see if it cuts off the bottom. That way you'll find out if there is a problem with the printer itself or some software problem. Your owner's manual should show you how to do a sample test document. If you can't find it, I'll search the internet for the buttons to push.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I just looked up printing what HP calls a Demo page. To do this hold down the Power button and press the Resume button once.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have performed all the independant printer tests and they are good. I'm not sure if this posted so I'll give it a second try. I brought my MacBookpro 2006 (or 7, can't remember which) and printed via bluetooth. It worked and also printed 2X faster than my Macbook pro 2008. So it has to be a software problem with the computer. I just repaired permissions, but this didn't change anything. So now the issue is slow printing and cutting in half the last line of a printed document. (Again margins are not the problem)
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Yes, does sound like a software problem. To find out if the driver is operating correctly you can create a new user in System Preferences/Accounts then go to Print & Fax in System Preferences and add the printer. Then print something from the new user account and see if you get the same result. If you do, there is something wrong with the driver from HP.

Another thing to try is resetting the printing system. You can do this by going to System Preferences/Print & Fax. Then Control Click in the blank space below the listed printers in the left side list. You'll get a contextual menu that says Reset Printing System.....
Click that and it will delete all of your printers listed, then you can add your printer again.

One more thing you can try is to make sure the printer isn't Auto Quitting at the finish of each print job. I may be prematurely quitting and not allowing it to finish. To set that open up your printer application by opening System Preferences/Print & Fax and double clicking on your printer. This will make your printer open in the Dock. Control Click on the printer in the Dock and in the menu and make sure there is NOT a check mark beside Auto Quit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have deleted the print driver then reinstalled the current HP driver. No change. All of the recommendations you have made I have already tried. Do you think a program like Techtools Pro will help me?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
It's always possible Techtool Pro could help. Wired USB will almost always be more reliable than Blutooth. But, software is the problem it looks like.

Make sure you are up to date with Software Update under the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your computer. You can also try reapplying/reinstalling the Mac OS 10.5.6 Combo Update available here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10-5-6_Combo_Update

Did you try making a new user account and printing from there? Did you get the same result?

Did you grab the version 9.7 driver from HP here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=466208&lang=en

I found an article on unexpected printouts saying sometimes printing larger files with Bluetooth connections can cause printing failures. Try printing smaller file sizes.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00428990&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=466208&rule=26239&lang=en

Do you get the same result when small files print also?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I created a test login user. The problem went away. Printing is good. So how do I correct my current account login?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
That's good. This should do it. Quit all applications. Open a Finder window, click your home folder, open Library, open Preferences and locate the file:

com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

Throw that file away, restart your computer and see how printing works then.

You may have to setup the printer again.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Giving it a try, be back in a moment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Problem solved. I have made the necessary payment. Thanks a million. I've been beating my head against the wall for a week trying to solve this issue. There was no apple.bluetooth.plist in the prefs, but an apple.bluetoothfileexchange.plis. I deleted this but no change. I then deleted all the pref files related to print, restarted and the problem was gone. I did not have to reinstall the printers as they were still there. Whew.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Terrific! So glad your problem is gone. Thanks for the accept and bonus. Now you'll know what to do if it happens again. Thanks for using just answer, come again. Lots of other categories for answers and take care.