Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have an older iMac G5, when I try to start it up it makes

Customer Question

I have an older iMac G5, when I try to start it up it makes the start up sound, the display never comes on and it makes a sound like a loud fan like the machine is trying real hard to finish starting up, but just continues doing that until I have to unplug it. Has anyone else had this problem and is it something easy I might be able to do myself or at least not that expensive?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

If the display does not come on, let's try resetting the hardware first, then we'll see if we can wake it up.

Please tell me what version iMac you have. Screen size, approximate year purchased, or get the serial number from it and reply here.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've got the serial number W84446CHPP6, its from about 2004, I think its a 17 inch screen.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Great. Thanks for that.
Serial number: W84446CHPP6
Name: iMac G5 (First model)
Model: M9248 iMac G5 1.6GHz
Bus speed: 533MHz
Screen size: 17 inch
Memory - number of slots: 2
Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)

Ok, let's reset it.
Remove the power cord and wait at least 10 seconds.
Connect the power cord and AT THE SAME TIME press the power button.
Let it go and then press it again to start the Mac up.

Let me know if it helped.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No dice, I tried it twice and it still is doing the same thing.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Let's see if it reacts to key commands.

Pull the plug and let it turn off.
Replace the plug.

Now follow these steps.
To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R
The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

To Reset Open FirmWare (PowerPCOnly)

Turn off the Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys:
OPTION
COMMAND
O
F

Release the keys when you see the text screen

Type the following exactly, press return after each command:

reset-nvram (press return)
reset-all (press return)

The Mac will restart on its own.

Let me know if it helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I held those keys down for a few minutes and it just keeps doing the same thing.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

One more thing to try. If you have the original Install disk for this Mac, turn on the Mac and insert the disk. Hold down the OPTION key and see if it allows the disk to boot the Mac. You may have to leave that in there if you need to do the next thing.

If that fails, then my only advice at this point is a service visit to a local Apple Service Provider or Genius bar. Make sure they know your disk is still in there if you do not get it back out.

It seems like something serious has happened and it needs to be professionally evaluated hands-on.

Sorry I could not help out here.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its cool, thanks for your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem.

Come back again if we can help you with anything.