Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

MY DELL MONITOR 2407WFP-HCCONTINUALLY ENTERING ENERGY SAVER

Customer Question

MY DELL MONITOR 2407WFP-HCCONTINUALLY " ENTERING ENERGY SAVER" MODE
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.

Does the monitor go into Energy Saver mode at the setting Energy Saver is set to do so in System Preferences/Energy Saver? See what that's set to. Maybe even change the setting just to see if it will affect it.

One other thing you can do is to create a new user account, set your Energy Saver preferences and see if the monitor follows those settings.

Also a hot corner could be activating it. Check that by going to System Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver and click the Screen Saver button. Then click the Hot Corners button in the lower left corner and make sure none of the corners are set to Sleep Display.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The System Energy Saver is set at never. Without the Dell Monitor attached. The system does not gfo into Energy Save MODE.

I have no corner set to Energy Saver.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
If you do the new user account thing I described in the first post, that would tell you if there is a hardware problem with the monitor. Another way to see if there is a hardware problem with the monitor is to put it on another computer and see if it does the same thing if you have one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ill need more time to assess your responses. I would like to get information on why the Monitor decided to go into this mode. I r4eceived the following comment on the possibility/ - Displays usually have their own 'processor' of sorts to control ther color profiles and other dynamics. If that controller is having issues it can affect any device that it is connected to. - Is it possible that DELL can fix the problem?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that's what I mean by it could be a monitor hardware problem. You can check that by doing my recommendations above.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My question is still open. Let me rephrase:

My Dell LCD monitor when connected to my MAC computer thru DVI constantly at random will enter "Energy Saver Mode". The computer preference is set at "NEVER go to energy saver/Sleep. The computer MAC G4 runs OH when A CRT Monitor is connected to standard connection on this computer. CAN some system in the LCD MONITOR be causing this problem. I did have a MAC certified Tech evaluate my computer and he did not find a cause in the computer system. He had it connected through the DVI to a MAC LCD Monitor.

If so what action can I take to solve this dilemma?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I've said yes, Dell might be able to fix the problem. There very well could be a hardware problem that Dell could fix. I still think making a new user test account and set the Energy Saving settings is your best test to see if there is a hardware problem. That's all of the ideas I have for it. I'll opt out for you so somebody else can give you more answers.   
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Apple has this note that describes some monitor vendors not correctly using the DVI standard and offers a solution to buy an adapter to use a different port.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27024?viewlocale=en_US
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried a new account - Tried Resetting the Energy saver - The energy saver does work properly when connected to the CRT. When the LCD is connected to the DVI it just goes into energy Saver and does not awaked unless the unit is rebooted.
None of these has identified the problem or its cause short of Is the Dell LCD have any control over Energy Saver.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
These symptoms can be prevented by connecting the display to the video card's ADC port instead of the DVI port. Your Dell monitor deviates significantly from the industry design standards for the implementation of the DDC (Display Data Channel) clock signal.

If you want to use that monitor, you will need to connect this monitor to the ADC port with a converter for it to work correctly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The LCD gives me a message that the"DVI" is not connected floating across the screen. This Monitor is just over ayear old and I bought it new direct from DELL. I'm really frustrated.

I gather what your saying is that I need a new monitor. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
YES I am saying that;

Hook this monitor up thru the ADC with an adaptor

or

Use another monitor.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.