Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

G5 Mac (10.4.11) wont mount CDs but will mount DVDs. One time

G5 Mac (10.4.11) won't mount CDs but will mount DVDs. One time I was able to get a CD to mount but hasn't happened again. Drive won't even spin up. Suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

This is because 1 or 2 things may be wrong:
1. your CD lens is dirty and it cannot see the cd to read it. It may sound like it does not spin up, but it is spinning very slowly before it can be read.

2. Your CD laser is dead. These drives have 2 lasers, one for DVDs and 1 for CDs. Yours CD laser may be dead causing it to not read anymore.

You can try a dvd based lens cleaner, available at most electroinics retailers or office supply stores that sell computer/Video stuff.

You can also just replace the drive with a new one that is faster, but still compatible with OS X so it can be used for all OS X apps and utilities.

Let me know if you need anything else, or a recommendation for a new drive.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I'll get a new CD/DVD unit. I'd like your recommendation for one.

More questions...
- I opened up the Mac to see how it is installed. There appears to be 2 levers under the drive. To replace the drive, just move these levers which look like it will move the drive out and connect the new drive?
- JustAnswer offers 3 prices with no explanation on the differences. What are the differences? I'm going to accept with the one I chose but just was wondering.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Depending on the model G5, you will have different options for removal. All require you to remove the cables carefully and then remove the drive. You may have screws to remove, not sure about the model.

For your Deposit question.. that is your choice and it depends on what YOU think the value of your question and our answer will be worth to YOU. You will also have an option to add a Bonus if you think the Expert is very helpful or went out of their way to solve or answer your question.

Hope that helps.

Here is my recommendation for your G5:
SuperDrive I recommend the Pioneer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last question (I promise). Is the price on a per question basis or can I now ask questions for some period of time?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Each question 'should' be a separate topic with its own value. You can ask as many related questions in a thread, as long as they peratin somewhat to the original question.

I don't mind answering anything that pops up, but we do recommend opening a new question if it moves too far off the original topic.

So, yes, a per topic based system.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting