Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

I have Safari 3.2.1 installed on my IMac with OSX 10.4. I can

Customer Question

I have Safari 3.2.1 installed on my IMac with OSX 10.4. I can load 3 or 4 web pages before the program stops responding. At that point I have to force quit the program (the message is always "Safari not responding). When I reopen the program it works for 3 or 4 downloads, then the same thing happens again. I have reset Safari but it doesn't help. Can you help? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

1) Repair permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder

2) Start up in Safe Mode by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until you see the Gray Apple and spinning gear. Then let go of the shift key. It may take up to a half hour to start up because the system runs diagnostics and may be repairing. After the computer starts up, restart again without holding any keys.

3) Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. Then hit the return key. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot

then hit return and you'll start up back to normal.

4) Throw away Safari's preferences by going to a Finder window by clicking on the smiling face icon in the lower left of the Dock, click your Home folder, open Library, open Preferences and locate the file:

com.apple.Safari.plist

Throw that file in the trash but make sure Safari isn't running when you do it. So again the location of that file is:

Home/Library/Preferences
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It seems to be working now. Thnaks
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Good, hope it holds up. Thanks for the accept. Happy surfing.