Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

i am using a mac laptop running 10.4.11. while i am able to

Customer Question

i am using a mac laptop running 10.4.11. while i am able to access the internet and see various websites without difficulty, today i have been unable to access my email via webmail using my business account at it keeps trying to load until the following message appears: "Network Timeout   The server at is taking too long to respond.
The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply." this also happened when i tried to see if the problem was only for my business email site. however, when i tried to access the site for googlemail, that did load. the errors happened with both safari and firefox and today is the first time it's happened. what's up and how do i fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
The first thing I did when I read your question was to open Terminal and type;

The server answered me telling me that it was online and addressable. Your error message was "Network Timeout". I have found that the error messages always mean what they say. For some reason the server was not addressable. Either they went offline for awhile or you had some other connection problem.

I was able to see the server so my guess is that the problem is over and you can now see your mail.

You also mentioned a problem seeing Hotmail. Maybe it's just a leg of your Internet connection that is down. Open your TERMINAL and type in;

Because you use a browser via webmail to read you mail it is not possible that you could have changed your server settings. I think it's just a temporary service outing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm sorry, i don't know what my "terminal" is. is that the address box? btw, it still won't load. while on a phone call with my aunt, i asked her to try to open, and she had no problem, but i still am not able to. this seems to be just affecting my computer and limited to the and the site.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Terminal is an Application. You can find in in the FINDER by navigating to APPLICATIONS - UTILITIES - then TERMINAL. It just opens up as a window with a $ prompt. Type in;

Hit the return key and if hotmail is visible to your computer the ping request will start talking back to you with something like;

PING ( 56 data bytes
64 bytes from icmp_seq=0 ttl=117 time=133.897 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=1 ttl=117 time=150.149 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=2 ttl=117 time=122.008 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=3 ttl=117 time=120.558 ms

type a CONTROL C to stop it. If you don't get an answer then it's not addressable for your location. You might want to call your Internet Service Provider and tell them.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I opened the terminal utility and typed ping
when I did that, the screen showed:
PING ( 56 data bytes'

I did not get any of the following 64 bytes. . . etc lines. Just to make sure, you're telling me I need to contact mediacom (my internet company)?

What would be a potential reason that I can view all websites except the, - but I can view and (I tried that while waiting for your reply)?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
The ping test proves that you can not see your mail server.

Yes you should ask that question to Mediacom. The Internet connections are like a spider web. If a link breaks it's supposed to find another route. I think you will need Mediacom's help.

You could unplug your Mediacom modem, wait for 30 seconds and plug it back in again. Then try the TERMINAL ping test again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I never thought that it could be a modem issue because all the other websites loaded and displayed just fine. But, given your suggestion, I unplugged my modem, let it rest for a minute, plugged it back in and retried the ping test per your instructions. It responded with the cascading response you initially suggested should happen.
I then tried to access the in Firefox, and it loaded just fine. Thank you for your time and multiple response to my queries. Have a good evening!
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
thank you