Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I have an IMac with several accounts. I was trying to free

Customer Question

I have an IMac with several accounts. I was trying to free up some space by deleting my son's itunes and have him just use my account. It now appears that I've lost all the itunes on my account and other accounts. When I try to play the song I get the box that says,"The song... could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Is your son's account on the iMac still exist or did you delete it already? How did you transfer over the iTunes to your account?

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, his account is still on the iMac. He does not remember.
If you log back into his account, are you able to play the music in his iTunes? Let me know so we can find out where his music is to move it over to your account.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I log back onto my son's account I can see the songs but can't play them.
Let's try to find them first. Click the Spotlight icon in the upper right corner (looks like a magnifying glass) and type: .mp3 (type the period with the 'mp3') and see if any results come up.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that and there were some podcasts that came up. That was it
Does your son have an iPod? Was the music purchased or aquired by other means?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, he has an iPod and a lot of the music was downloaded from iTunes
Please connect his iPod and download this software. It will allow you to extract the music off the iPod so you can move it back into iTunes.

Let me know if you have any issues with this software.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once we extract it what file name template do we call it? Also what if his iPod could not hold all the songs that were there?
You can use whichever template you wish. I would use this one:

<artist> - <album>/<trackno> - <title>

This method will only pull the songs he had on the iPod. If Spotlight was unable to find any other music and Time Machine hasn't been backing up, it sounds as if the rest of the music is gone. Sadly, Apple doesn't allow re-downloading purchased content.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there any way to transfer my iTunes from my macbook to my imac? we are on a network
After you pull the music off the iPod, follow this great walkthrough provided by Apple on using the iPod to transfer a music library to another computer.

I am going to retire for the evening. If you have any more questions, I will return them when I return in the morning or another expert will pick them up.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I'm still wondering why would my computer not have the music in iTunes when it was deleted on my son's side?
I just noticed that you said most were purchased. Please click the Spotlight icon and search for .m4a and .m4p as they are the file extensions used by purchased music. Let me know if you find anything. Be sure to use your son's account when you do this search.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did this and there were about a 20 songs, but that was it. There are probably another 3000 songs missing. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once I get some of the songs how do I transfer them back to iTunes?