Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I am trying to clean a donated Mac to be used for the disabled.

Customer Question

I am trying to clean a donated Mac to be used for the disabled. The prior user who donated the computer cant remember there password XXXXX cant remember where the os disk is. I tried to Reboot holding the ALt S but I am using a logtec keyboard. I cant seem to get the computer to boot to anywhere but admin password.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

So this Mac is running OS 9.2?

What Mac is this?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
power mac g4 ?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK, A PowerMac G4 running OS 9.2

When you turn it on, it just starts up and then gives you a login screen?

Have you tried any keys on startup? Holding down any?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried holding down Alt-S with no response. The keyboard is a plug and play logitecwhich is compatable but does not have apple key etc
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Alt-s will not do anything. You need SHIFT only or Command - S, which is the Windows key if no Command key.

Command - S will work if Mac OS X is installed. You can also try OPTION (ALT) key to get to a Startup disk manager.

Are you sure about Mac OS 9 being the only OS on the Mac?

So, try SHIFT first. Then, if no luck there, try COMMAND -S (WINDOWS key - S)

If that fails, then try just the OPTION (ALT) key to see if there is another partition or OS installed.

If all of those fail, you will need to get a Startup CD or Installer disk for mac OS 9 or Mac OS X and boot the Mac from that.

Let me know if you want more info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This computer is supposed to be donated to a disabled person.

I can not pay to have a disk

your instructions were not helpful because>>>>>

Shift only still demands the owner password XXXXX she cant remember

Command S does not get anywhere it, kind of hangs the computer with a white box that does to allow for any text

Alt does not show any other os

If you have any other suggestions please send them forward

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Then you have no options.

There is no other OS to boot into. Option/ALT showed that.

Command-S just hangs... no OS to boot from.

Shift still gets a password XXXXX because it is OS 9 and there is no way around.

I was trying to see if the G4 had another OS, like OS X and that is what those commands are mostly for.

There is no way around an OS 9 with a Password XXXXX than a boot CD or Diskette (in a USB floppy drive) to boot it from so you can remove some files to allow it to boot normally.

Sorry, but you cannot get there from here. You will need disks. Either borrow something from a friend with a similar Mac, ask a local Apple Store or dealer if they can assist with your issue and tell them why. If it were me I would fix it for free if you came to my store and told me this.

I cannot help any further. It cannot be done without disks.

If you get something, feel free to come back and reply to this thread and I will assist you with anything related to this.