Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

My cursor is frozen in the upper left hand corner. i have turned

Customer Question

My cursor is frozen in the upper left hand corner. i have turned it off & pulled out the plug. When I turn it back on it's still frozen. I've been having trouble with it freezing for several weeks, but until now pulling out the plug has worked. HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

What Mac is this and are you using a hub for your Mouse? Or is it directly connected to the Mac?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't even know what a hub is. My mouse is directly connected to the computer. It's an Imac with OXIO.4 (I think, I can't check since it's frozen.)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

that's fine. You answered my questions.

The mouse. Can you look at the cord and plug and see if it shows any wear or fraying?

Also, take the plug out of the port it is in and move it to another USB port on the Mac. Even try the Keyboard as it has ports on it too.

Look at the mouse. If it is an Optical version, there should be alight coming from the bottom of it. Is there?

Let me know,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ahhh... I see. You accepted the Answer.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX necessary yet.

We can stay on this thread and I'll close the other one.

What was your reply?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just found your emails in spam. The answer to your question is that my mouse does have a light coming out of the bottom. I just changed the ports for both mouse and keyboard and nothing happened.

I should say that I have been leaving my ipod plugged in when I'm not using it. I have unplugged it and another headset--I have left both plugged in.

Sorry for the mixup. You are now on my approved list.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didn't answer part of your question. When I click on the "Click Here." I get a message that indicates there is nothing there.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the red light indicates there is power. So, we need to find out if the Mac is actually freezing when it starts the Finder and you then cannot move the mouse or is the mouse actually defective.

Let's test the mouse first. When you get to the Finder and it is in the upper left corner, press either mouse button (if more than one). Do you get the Apple Menu pulled down?

Now, if that worked, then we have a defective mouse that is not tracking.

If it did not work, then try this. Hold down the Command (Apple) key and type a N key on your keyboard. Did a new window open up? If not we have to figure out if the Mac froze, or not.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried testing the mouse and nothing happened. However, when I held down the apple key a window opened.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

I think either the Mouse is bad or the cable for the mouse is bad and it is not communicating back to the Mac.

The keyboard function shows the Mac is not frozen, so that is a good thing.

I would recommend you get another mouse and try it and if it works, problem solved.

If not, we are back to figuring out why the Mac stopped responding to a Mouse.

So, if you have another USB mouse, any mouse, then get it and plug it in and remove the bad one. Try the new mouse.

If you do not have another one to try, even temporarily, then you will need to go out and get one.

That is what I think is wrong.

Let me know how you make out.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried a different mouse and it didn't work. Then I plugged in my old mouse into this machine and it works. Must not be the mouse.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Then we have an issue where the mouse is not communicating properly.

Do you have the Mouse connected to the Keyboard or to a separate USB port?

If in the Keyboard, move it to another port by itself and see if that works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed it from the keyboard to another port and nothing happened.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

Let's start with software then.

Restart the Mac and hold down the SHIFT key only when you hear the chime.

Keep it down until it looks like it is starting up.
Then let it finish starting up and see if the Mouse works.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I turned it off (by the way it's harder to turn off than I remember from before. I really have to hold down the off button), held the shift key down when I heard the chime, and let it go when I saw the apple. Now the apple is still on the screen and the little circle (the black and white one--not the colored one) is just going round and round. OOps--now a window has opened. At the top it says Mac OS X--underneath that it says safe boot--under that my name under that two lines--Apple Admin--Local Admin and then three buttons-sleep,restart, shut down.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Log in with your name and password. Does the mouse move in this screen? It should.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see how to log in since my mouse won't move to the window.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
It's OK.

That means this method did not work either.

You can use the Tab key to move to the filed(s).

Do you have your Install disk for this Mac?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have install disk two. I've already put it in, but can't access it since I can't get the mouse to move. I can't find disk one.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Oh,

You will need Disk one, not 2. 2 does not have what we need on it.

Any other OS X disks? Upgrade or retail install disks?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have imac software install and restore andApple hardware test.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Oh good.

Let's run that Hardware Test Disk.

Put it in and restart and then hold down OPTION key. When you see the Startup Disk Manager, choose the Hardware disk and then click continue or OK.

Run all the tests and let me know what it comes back with. Also, let me know if the Mouse works in any of the tests. Keep trying it as they progress.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I get the install 2 disk out of the machine?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Restart the Mac and immediately try using the eject button on the keyboard.

Keep repeatedly pressing the eject button until the disk pops out.

If your keyboard does not have an eject button then we may have another issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
eject button worked, but how do I get the hardware disk to work since I can't move the mouse?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm. interesting question. Try the tab key to see if you can select things then the return key should accept/run them.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tab key selected but the return key didn't respond.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

Another approach.

Restart the Mac. Leave the disk in the drive.

To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R
The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

To Reset Open FirmWare (PowerPCOnly)

Turn off the Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys:
OPTION
COMMAND
O
F

Release the keys when you see the text screen

Type the following exactly, press return after each command:

reset-nvram (press return)
reset-all (press return)

The Mac will restart on its own.

Do these and let's see if this helps any.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did all that. It worked just like you said. However, the return key still doesn't respond.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Try to tab around the screen and see if the button for Start or Test highlights. Then hit return

Other than that, after resetting the hardware and PRAM/OpenFirmware, I cannot thing of anything else than the Macs mouse controller is bad (hardware issue).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope, doesn't do anything.I guess I need to take it into the shop.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, sorry about that. It does look like a Hardware issue.

Let me know how you get along.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just discovered that when I hit the tabe it moves along the top of the screen and I can use the arrows to go down to the commands. I'll go through the hardware test and see if anything works. I'll let you know.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Great. yes let me know.