Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

Why doesnt my Mac Book Pro (OSx) recognize my battery It

Why doesn't my Mac Book Pro (OSx) recognize my battery? It shows an x over the battery icon displayed at the top right toolbar.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there, Nate.

This is a known issue from Apple. Can you please tell me what version of OS X you are running? You can find this by going to the Apple menu and choose "About This Mac".

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tiger 10.4.11
Thanks for that info. As I stated, this is a known issue from Apple. Please download and install this update. Let me know the outcome.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed the instructions in the link and found that by looking at the BatteryUpdater.bundle file that I am using Version 1.3, which is a more recent version than the 1.2 listed in the link. So... that didn't seem to do the trick.
Nate,

We can try to reset your SMU first. Please shut down your machine, unplug the AC adapter and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for 5-7 seconds. Replace the battery and reconnect the power adapter. Does the system recognize the battery now?

By the way, do you have a spare battery to try? Is your laptop still under warranty?

Brandon
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm