MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Hi. Never used mac til now. Got email on dell pc at home with

Customer Question

Hi. Never used mac til now. Got email on dell pc at home with sky provider. Set up email on t hsi macbook pro and it receives fine but I cant send any. laptop bought from a friend who got it at xmas and didnt like it. Hed set up some stuff already so his name is XXXXX XXXXX but doesnt seem like hes got any email setup still so that could be a red herring.   Just want to know how I get this email working if anyone can help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :

• What version of Mac OS X you are using? (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" or "Mac OS X 10.4.11" etc -If unsure how to verify what version of Mac OS X you have- do this:

Click on Apple Menu icon - Upper left corner of your screen and select "About this Mac from the menu- The little window that pops up will reveal what version you have

• Are you using the Mac OS X Mail application to access email?
• Or are you using going through a web browser to access email?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
version of os is os x 10.5.6
we are just using the icon on the mac itself so Im guession we must be using mac os x mail appn?
Thanks for your reply

I believe that is correct, if you are clicking on the Stamp to access Mac OS X Mail.

Considering that you are able to receive mail but not send mail this may be an issue in one of two ways:

• The Outgoing mail server for Sky Provider is not correct in Mac OS X Mail

• There could be an issue with the Outgoing mail server from Sky Provider directly.

Could you provide me what the Outgoing mail server address is that you have for Sky Provider? (or is it Sky) (example of Outgoing Server Address:
smtp.<domain>.com or smtp.<domain>.net)

I have an idea what may be the issue, but I just need your help to verify the Outgoing Mail Server Address for your ISP.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX await your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No its not likely to be the sky server because the email works fine from me on our other dell pc. Its only the mac.

the outgoing server address is
Oh I understand, regarding your reply, I was stating that for issues like this, it could be one of those issues.

Here is what I suggest for you to try for Mac OS X Mail:

• Launch Mac OS X Mail (If it is not already open)
• Click Mail >Preferences>Accounts
• From the 3 tabs on the right, select Advanced
• Once in Advanced tab under Port:
• Change if the port# XXXXX 465

• This is the correct Port that outgoing mail needs to be send via Sky.
* If this port# XXXXX XXXXX in place, please reply back as soon as you can.

I await your reply, thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was set to 995 or similar. Now it wants outgoing mail address -- do I change that to same as incoming?
Thanks for your patience and reply.

Actually where you should be in Advanced, you should not have to change the incoming as long as you are receiving email because that is correct.

Port 465 is the SMTP address for Outgoing Mail Server for Sky. That should be replaced in the Port window in place of 995 (or 993 - whichever is the current port#)

When you state that Mail wants outgoing mail address, that should be the address or something close to that.
Input the correct outgoing mail server address from Sky and then save changes.

Let me know if this helps, thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI. No. Hasnt worked. The message I get is
cannot send message using server . rejected by   Select another server. I saw on your front page that port 25 is not something sky likes and when I click on the connection doctor thing some of the threads show port 25. Does this mean its never going to work with a sky mailbox ? If thats true what do I do for mail ?
Good question.

That is interesting that you noted the Outgoing Mail Server address (SMTP) for Sky as in your most recent reply because as per Sky Broadband
directly from their website, here are the ports they require to be used to send and receive mail from their servers.

Here are the Sky Mail Sever Port Numbers as well:
Incoming Port: 110
Outgoing Port: 465 (other default ports for SMTP include 25 & 587)

But, as you have mentioned port 25, there is no risk for you to experiment to see which port can work for sending out emails, as sometimes it is the unlikeliest port which may work.

But before you do that, if you could, I would like to see if I can provide you with this MacTech Share link that I have created to help customers provide me a little of what they see on their screens using the region screen capture feature,( built-in for Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5) --Apple Command+Shift+4 keys, which will allow you to use a crosshairs cursor to drag and capture a certain portion of any window you need to get a screenshot of.

Would you mind providing me a captured screenshot of

• The Advanced settings window in Mail >Preferences>Accounts> Advanced
• The Accounts window detailing your incoming and outgoing settings.

• The screenshot will save to your desktop as Picture 1, Picture 2, etc (depending on how any you take.

All you need to do is click on the link below and upload to that page, which will allow me to look and see just what you see.

MacTech Share

I will be waiting for your input. Thanks so much for being patient during this time.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2 files as requested have been uploaded to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last update was sending you the 2 screen shots of settings that you asked for. Any luck?
Thanks so much for your patience.

My apologies for the later reply. I was pulled for the day for an unexpected family emergency and had not been able to come back on (Mac) to assist you until now.

I have reviewed the screenshots you uploaded and appreciate you taking the time
to do so. Unfortunately, you have a text book setup in regards XXXXX XXXXX SMTP settings
For Outgoing Mail Server address for Sky. But that is not the unfortunate news.
What is, is the fact that there appears to be an issue with the incoming server ports being blocked from Sky and it is affecting a good amount of Sky customers. So it is not your Mac or your settings.

In my effort to get an answer for you, I did find this link which will allow you to check your email settings for Mac OS X Mail for Leopard.

Sky Email Setup and Settings

Please Note:
After you check your settings from Sky's website and find that your settings for your Outgoing Mail Server address is correct, despite your Sky working on your Dell, you will need to contact Sky's Support.

I stress this because you would need to contact the ISP, to find if there are any existing or known issues occurring with the outgoing mail server for Mac using Mac OS X Mail. There are a number of Mac Users with Sky services, that are having the same issue you are: "Incoming email works great, but cannot send out emails"

Finally, to support what I am explaining about your Outgoing Mail server address issue, here is one of a number of links of customer's experiencing this same issue
Here is one such link:

Sky User Forum (Incoming Not Outgoing)

I hope this information can shed some light of what the issue is, from Mac level - the ISP side.

If you have more questions on this subject, please feel free to reply back to this post once again.

Thanks again so much for your patience and for trusting me to work hard for a resolution for you.

Just following back up with you to see how things are going and if you have found the information I provided to you as helpful. I also and curious to find out if you went ahead and checked with your ISP to see if there are any known issues with the Outgoing Mail server address

This new incoming mail server address was supposed to replace the previous outgoing server address, but again it appears that more and more Sky users are experiencing issues with sending emails out.

Please feel free to update me when you have an opportunity to do so.

I appreciate your patience, Thanks!