Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, my girlfriend also just lost here adress book data. 2000

Customer Question

Hi, my girlfriend also just lost here adress book data. 2000 contaqcts, work of 2 years! No backup done ;-((
She had email calender and contacts open. Then tghe systems stoped working. She pressed the stop button to quickly finish the programm. After restarting the adress book was empty. Please help. Best Rob
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hai I am Ashik. I think i can help you
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you already done a Recovery test and you didn't get the data back, i have a idea.. I am not sure if it works or not. You can try it.
If it happened in a software crash then it may be mainly affected the Preference settings of your Address book. You can try to reset the Prefernce settings of your Address book..

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.HIToolbox.###a###b###c.plist (last string is a combination of numbers and letters)
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist
and Launch Address book again

Please don't click ACCEPT if it not worked
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Oh sorry. Missed a point in the the answer....The two preferences file must be moved from their source to desktop and relaunch the Addressbook
(Don't Trash it)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have only found the first file and pushed it to the desktop. Restart of Adressbook did not help. What next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You mean you cannot find this file...the spotlight it
Search " com.apple.AddressBook.plist " on Spotlight
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We do not have soptlight. We are using OS X 10.4.
Will try to search it anyways.
R.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS installation disks???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have found the other file addressbook.plist. So both files are on the desktop now. After restart of adressbook, NO success.

Mac OS installation disks is 200 mils away. Could ask neighbour with lots of macs (advertsing agency).
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
We need to fix some errors with Disk Utility by starting from the disk...It would be better if you have Mac OS Disks ...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to get afriend to bring them to me, but will take a few minutes if I can reach him. If not, what else can we do now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Restart your Mac and this hold down the Command (APPLE) key and the S keys at the same time. You should see some text on the screen and then it will stop and you want to write something in it.
Type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.

Let it finish. If it returns any errors, then run Disk Utility again and if it return no errors then type reboot and hit return
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have black screen with white tiyping. Last sentence is "localhost:/root#"
Cannot type / - the symbol over the number 7 - . Where do I find this one? I
am not to educated on MAC.
I also have the Germany dashboard.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Actually one key may contain 2 letters....you can press Shift + the key to get the other letter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know this but it does not printb the / sign. What to do.

Will go and pick up the OS X system disk. Be back in 30 minutes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
OK, it is better to use the Mac OS Disks. I will be online for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have the mac os Pro here but have Mac Book with Mac os x
Dos that work?

Have also Mac Os X TIGER here.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the late Reply...Insert the Mac OS X disks and press and hold c. The mac will boot from cd and follow the instructions. After that goto Disk Utilities from Utilities menu. You will see a window with many partitions. Select the partition (Macintosh HD/ home disk) and click Repair Disk and Repair Permissions. After finishing this restart and try it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Friend i will not be online for 7-8 hrs because i have a programme and i cannot get to you from there..and i gave you all the possible solutions. So i am going to opt out and other experts will help you.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Do you still need help with Addressbook?

Can you tell me what is in your computer at this path?

~/Library/Application Support/Addressbook/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we do still need help.
I wrote Ashik that when going into the command s and restart, I do see the following:

but I can not type the / sign. I did see that what Ashik wanted me to type was 2 lines above, but then he did not get back to me. Need help now, otherwise we have to look for other experts. This is real urgent and important. 2 years work and 2000 contacts are gone!!!
Robert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, but do I get some fedback now or what? Please understand that this is time crucial. WE do need the best specialists here to solve this problem, since the guys in the apple stores are not capabale to do so.
Rob
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
The addressbook data is stored in the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Addressbook. Will you tell me what you have in that directory?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob, if you would look at the Q&A I did already with Ashik, you would se that. Please do so as I do not write it any more.

Do you think that there is a chance of recovery?
Best
Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob, the speed of answering here is not ok. I did expect something mor to happen aqnd faster. What is holding you back? I do have an urgent problem and are willing to pay more if that is what makes you speek up things, but do not let me sit around and wait only ;-((

Rob
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rob, I am sorry, someone change the category of this question and it locked me out from posting.

Your last message said that you and Ashik looked at the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Addressbook. I have re-read the whole post and I can see that you did that.
The addressbook data is stored in the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Addressbook. I am wondering if yours is still there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Point is that it is there, but only 35 kb big and not data. So the file data of 2000 contacts should be about 500MB or bigger. So it must be somewhere hidden in the back with maybe a new ending so it cannnot be found anymore.
Again, we already tried rescue software at a applestore. I do need better and profound advise to find the adressbook again.
Ashik wanted to try something with the max os x system disk, but we never got into that because he disappeared. So maybe ask him what he wanted to to try and search.
I do have Mac Book Pro and Max Os X Tiger system disk here. But we have a regular Mac Book working here.
Have to go now and be back in 3 hours.
R.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You should still be able to retrieve the data from backup. You should have one in your ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook directory (it ends with a .abbu extension). To restore it, all you need to do is quit Address Book, rename the dead AddressBook.data file to AddressBook.old and then rename the backup to AddressBook.data. Then try opening Address Book again and see if it works.

You might also want to try using a tool like this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12469

I'm not sure if it will help in this case, but it's worth a try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob,
we have been there of course, but this file is empty and only 35 k big. We need to find that adressbook.data file somewere else in the dark side of the hard disk ;-(( Again, it is disappeared. No backup was made ever before, that is the problem! We need to get this one back.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
If you can't see the files you need in he Finder then the file was most likely deleted. You are right in thinking that deleted files are not really deleted but the reference to those files are deleted. Once the reference if gone the space these files occupy are free game for any other file that needs to be written. You can spend $89 to $299 for data retrieval software. The problem is that if any new file covers part of the old files you need that would make them unreadable.

I am sorry. I wish there was another way.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
HaiCustomerand Bob Cook,
Nice to meet you both again. Bob Cook, they already done a Recovery Test and they can't find those files. AndCustomeri have two solutions for you ie my last two solutions.
  • Goto ~/Users/[your name]/Library/ApplicationSupport/Address Book/Metadata/ and you will found your files in here. Double click in each to view address. This is my first Solution and the second is,
  • Goto ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook. Remove the file named Addressbook.data into Trash(Don't remove it from trash) and if you can see a file named Addressbook.data.previous then rename it into Addressbook.data. Now open the addressbook and check...
If it not worked, i am sorry i couldn't help you....
Please Don't ACCEPT my answer if it not worked....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ashik,

as just writen, we can try this from monday on. Will try and get back to you then. Best for now.
Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will get Mac Book on Monday back. So cannot do anything more right now. Sorry.
Will gt back to you on monday. We have a new iMac then and can try everything on the Mac Book without any risk. ok?

Best

Rob
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Nice to meet you again, Take your time
Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will get bacik to you on monday afternoon/evening.
Best
R.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Okay
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hai, did it worked??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have MacBook at Applestore again. They try one more time. Will get it back this afternoon or tomorrow. Come back to you when I have it here again.
Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ashik,

will have MacBook back erliest tomorrow evening or saturday. Apple Flagships tore couldn´t help eather ;-(( Will get back to you soon.
Rob
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I will be waiting for you
Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hai,
Did you recovered the Addressbook data ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ashik,
no, we/they did not recover it and my girlfriend has decided to not cry anymore after them. So lost is lost.
If you would have not dissappeared after the first day, I might have tried with you, but so it was too much of a delay.
Thanks anyways.
Best
Rob
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I tried many times to get to you. But i can't open this question and i cannot post any answers at that time. I am very sorry about that, but you can try my previous answer. This is my last answer....and from now on please backup each and every data of your computer for safety.
Bye for now...