Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

When I open system preference, network, I get a dialog box

When I open system preference, network, I get a dialog box that states "Your network settings have changed by another application. When I click on OK, the dialog box comes back and does not allow me into the network.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.

I found this thread at Apple Discussions. It describes a fix.

Make sure to write down your network settings first as this process will delete all your network settings. You will need to re-type them all in to get access to the network and other net services.

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (from your Hard drive, not the Home Folder) and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Another way to fix it is to very quickly click on the Pop-up menu behind the error message right after you click on it.
Delete any Location and then re-create it and the message goes away. This has also worked for some people.

Apple is aware of this and hopefully will fix it.

Brandon

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the quick option and was able to quickly click below the dialog box and
get in. I may do the long version later.Customer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I used the quick option and it worked. I will try the longer one later.
Thanks
Glad to hear it worked! Not many are able to click quick enough. If you have issues in the future, I would suggest using the longer method.

Thanks!!
Brandon