Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

When I open system preference, network, I get a dialog box

When I open system preference, network, I get a dialog box that states "Your network settings have changed by another application. When I click on OK, the dialog box comes back and does not allow me into the network.

I found this thread at Apple Discussions. It describes a fix.

Make sure to write down your network settings first as this process will delete all your network settings. You will need to re-type them all in to get access to the network and other net services.

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (from your Hard drive, not the Home Folder) and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Another way to fix it is to very quickly click on the Pop-up menu behind the error message right after you click on it.
Delete any Location and then re-create it and the message goes away. This has also worked for some people.

Apple is aware of this and hopefully will fix it.

Brandon

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did the quick option and was able to quickly click below the dialog box and
get in. I may do the long version later.Customer
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I used the quick option and it worked. I will try the longer one later.
Thanks
Glad to hear it worked! Not many are able to click quick enough. If you have issues in the future, I would suggest using the longer method.

Thanks!!
Brandon