Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

When I open Firefox or Safari - I get to the home page, and

When I open Firefox or Safari - I get to the home page, and nowhere else. I have to force quit - not responding.
How can I fix this? What's wrong??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like the Home Page you go to maybe trying to set cookies and can't. That may cause the browser to lock up.

Are you trying to go to the same Home Page in each browser?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. There is a different home page on Safari and Firefox.
Also, thanks for taking on my problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

No problem.

Let's work on one then the other. I will need you to delete a file for me.

Quit or Force Quit Safari.
Go to your Home Folder. It is the one with the House icon.
graphic
Inside that folder, along with your Documents, Music, Movies folders is a Library Folder.
Open that folder and then open the Preferences folder.
In that folder look for the files named:
com.apple.Safari.plist
com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist

Drag both to the Trash. If you only have one (RSS is missing) that's OK.
Now open Safari again and see if it locks up again.

Let me know,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You did it!
There was no RSS file.
But Safari and Firefox are both working now!
Do you have any idea why it happened - and
what I can do about it?

Thanks so much!
-Susan
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

No, not really. Glad it works though.

Sometimes a file can get corrupted, especially if the file is read from and written to frequently. A cache file will do that as well as a Preference file which gets written to each time you open the Preferences from the file menu.

What you can do is make sure to Quit before shuttig down or letting it go to sleep.

Now, the confusing part is why Firefox is affected. That is weird.

Thanks!! for the Accept, and if anything else comes up re; this issue, please come back.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi -
Sorry it took so long to get back to you - I had to change my credit card info, and
then I couldn't return to the acceptance page. Anyway, as a bonus for answering
and fixing my problem, I will accept this answer, and hope you receive this in
a timely fashion.
Again, many thanks for your help.
-Susan.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Glad to help.

Come back again!!

Mike, Mac Support Specialist