MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I bought a MacPro xenon 64 bit (early 2008 model computer)

Customer Question

I bought a MacPro xenon 64 bit (early 2008 model computer) running OS 10.5.6 and Photoshop CS4 - both just updated with most recent updates. Bridge is crashing and many of the new options (animated pan and zoom for example) are unresponsive. I am told this is a known issue with the early MacPro specifically with Adobe using Bridge. Can you confirm?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• The Apple Tech support is not only correct about the unresponsiveness of
Bridge and many of the new options within the app. This also has come directly from Adobe Engineers via Adobe's support pages regarding Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Photoshop CS4 and the frequency of crashes.

I want to provide this link for you which in fact, supports what you have been by from Apple Support, as well as detail what a number of Mac Users like yourself, using Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Adobe PS CS4 are experiencing with the unresponsive and crash issues. What's more it is not just confounding Mac Users, these current issues have the Adobe Engineers still reaching for answers.

Adobe Forums

I am also providing you the most current updates for Adobe Photoshop CS4
in hopes this will help with the unresponsive issues with Bridge as well. The current "known" issues with CS4 are not limited to just PS CS4 and Bridge functions, but
also as it appears, with fonts and Camera Raw plug-in files as well.
Current Adobe Updates for CS4

There have been steps that have been tried, from backing up and then zeroing out the hard drive, reinstalling Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Photoshop, to having the RAM tested for any hardware flaws.

• Even Archive and Install processes have been attempted. But as much troubleshooting has been done, there does not appear to be a sound fix from Adobe for Adobe CS4's freezing and crash issues.

I would not recommend these two previous processes of Erasing or Archive and Installing, unless as a last resort. I did however, feel compelled to provide you as much information as necessary to assist you with resolving primarily the CS4 Bridge crashing and also the unreponsiveness of the animated pan and Zoom options amongst other functions that are failing.

This is not an easy resolution due to the broad scope of current issues with CS4.

But considering Apple and Adobe (especially Adobe) not having any geniune work
arounds readily available for release to date, I have to hope the Adobe updates (if you have not run the select few for your PS4 app yet), would be the fix you need to end the crashing and no response issues.

I have researched quite a bit on this case and found that there are a number of Mac Users experiencing even worse issues with the same OS and PS CS4 than what you are currently experiencing. I cannot say either way whether this is really good or bad, but if I had a choice, I would say this is decent for you, because it could be just a bad plug-in or corrupt camera RAW preference file which may be causing the issue, but at this point, that is only my technical speculation, not fact just yet.

Please let me know if you have more questions, as I am definitely interested in helping you as much as I can to get this issue resolved. Thanks for your patience, I look forward to your response.

Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Td,

Thank you so much for the most informative and comprehensive answer. You will never know how many weeks of stress and insanity came to closure as a result.

I am concerned because I want to be certain you have been paid and although I checked the amount before posting the question, I did not find a page requesting my credit card details, so I want to make sure you did get paid. If not, please send me the link to the payment page.

Thanks so much again.
Believe me I am with you in understanding just how maddening this whole scenario can be. I have both CS3 and CS4 and they are most interesting to use at times (speaking conservatively).

I want to let you also know that all is well and I thank you very much for the Accept! Yes it came through just fine and I appreciate you trusting the effort I placed into providing you as comprehensive an answer as possible for a difficult issue.

If you ever have more questions regarding your Mac, please do not hesitate to connect with us first. We are always glad to help our valued Mac customers like you!

Warmest Regards,

-TD