MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Silly me, thought I could load leopard on my old(er) macbook

Customer Question

Silly me, thought I could load leopard on my old(er) macbook pro w/ the disk that came w/ my little macbook. I researched some, but not enough. Did a erase and install. Of course leopard didnt install, but Im stuck now. It wont take the tiger disk (it works, I checked on the macbook). Just goes to gray screen w/ folder & ?, or loads leopard install setup. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

• As I understand you have tried the Mac OSX Tiger and Leopard with little success
Just to make sure I am with you, as of current you are still seeking assistance with upgrading to Leopard on your Macbook Pro, is this correct?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question. Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. im now trying to restore tiger
Thank you for your reply.

As you have made it clear that you want to got back to Tiger here is what you are going to need to do to remove the Leopard install.

-Removing Mac OS X 10.5 in preparation for reinstalling Leopard

*** Use MAC OS X 10.5 LEOPARD DISC for this process ***

•Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your Mac,
then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• Keep holding the C key until you see the White screen, Grey apple and eventually the Spinning gear.
•When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Allow your Mac to continue the booting to the CD.
• You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
• Once in the Installer environment, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.

•Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the
Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to
access Disk Utility.

When Disk Utility opens, select the Macintosh hard drive in the left side window
•Now click the Erase tab.
• Now click the Security Options button toward bottom of screen.

This will enable a screen that pops up giving you the option to Zero out data (screenshot below) at different levels of secure complete format.
You are going to need to do this in order to remove the Leopard install partition that you keep restarting your Macbook Pro to.

•Select the Zero Out data
graphic

Next, under Volume Format: select Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
from the small drop down menu.
graphic

* If you look below, you see that the Erase option shows that you have selected
the Zero Out Data option.

Now click Erase and proceed to allow the Erasing of the hard drive to take place.
This is going to take a while. However once it is done, you will no longer see the progress bar. Once it is done.

Just reply back to me and I will walk thru the process up to the re-installation of Tiger.

I will be watching for your reply. Thanks!

-TD

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The macbook pro is no longer accepting EITHER disk, tiger or leopard. It starts to spin, and then ejects the disk and gos back to the blinking folder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please disregard the last message :D its erasing now.
Thanks for the update.

Not a problem, let me know when it is done and I will continue assisting you to get Tiger back up and running on your Macbook Pro.

Thanks! -TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok hd has been erased, not sure if I got the last steps tho.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correction, erase and waiting further instruction.
Excellent.
Ok now that you have processed the erase what you are going to have to do now is
reinstall your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Disc,

What I do need to know before you begin: is the copy of Tiger you have a restore disc that came with your Mac or a retail (standalone) version?

If it is a restore disc, make sure you use installation disc 1

Now what you are going to need to do now is reboot your Mac back up
to the install disc pressing the C key and get back into the Installer enviroment.

• Once you are there, click past the language screen and follow the prompts which will lead you to selecting your Destination drive.

• With your destination drive (your Macbook's hard drive)selected, you will then need to click the Options button in and select Erase and Install.

•Once you select Erase and Install and commence to install, it should take approx. 45 mins. to an hour or so to install Tiger OS back onto your hard drive.

Let me know if you get through to where you have begun installation, as this is a great sign that you are on your way to restoring Tiger back on your system. I also have a few final tips for you, but only after your Mac OS X 10.4 is in the process of being reinstalled.

I look forward your update.

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I followed you all the way till the part w/ the tiger install disk.
This is my problem here. I put the disk in (it is disc 1 of the restore disks that came w/ this macbook pro), restart the machine, it makes the start up noise, and I hold down the C button. It makes some sounds, and then after a min or two, ejects the disk. Back to grey screen w/ blinking folder.
Can you tell me what that Tiger disc's description shows?
(i.e. the firmware version of disc or anything else it shows)

If this disc is ejecting there is a possiblility it could be an issue with the disc.

You providing me the information on the disc, will help me get an idea the type of disc and if there are any known issues with it.

Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The disk label reads:
Macbook Pro Mac OS x install Disc 1
Mac OS version 10.4.8 AHT version 3a116 Disk version 1.1
2z691-5948-A

everything else on the label is licencing and start up info (C and D key start up explained)
This may be a bad disc, because it is the correct disc for your Macbook Pro, according to the version on the disc.

Have you attempted to clean ithe disc just to see if maybe there are some scuffs on the disc which could possibly prevent the drive in the Macbook Pro from reading the disc?

If you have tried this and it still does not work, would you be willing to try the Leopard disc again to see if it may work this time, since there has been a clean erase?

-TD
Hi, just checking back up on you to see if cleaning the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger disc helped or if the Leopard disc (cleaned as well) works?

If not, this issue may be leaning toward some possible hardware issues, with your Macbook Pro, but I do not want to be too hasty with making such a call, I am just working to determine all possibilities in this case.

Let me know, I will be looking for your reply.

Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yea, the disk had some smudges. I cleaned it w/ a micro fiber cloth. It is a realitively old disk (2006 I think is when I got it). Im gonna get an actual disk cleaner kit tomorrow, and see how that goes. (it does load the leopard download screen when I put that disk in, but it does not give me the option to load it, of course).
IF it turns out to be a harddrive issue, can I continue troubleshooting w/ you on this ticket?

Thank you for all your help and patience. Even though its still not up and running, its awesome to have someone to bounce ideas/efforts off of and walk me through the trouble shooting.
Not a problem! I appreciate you trusting me to assist you as much as I am able.

And Yes- I will work with you as far as I can go unless it gets to a point that this Macbook Pro would need to be taken in for service, which I hope it won't but cannot rule that out just yet.

Considering you have tried to clean the disc and are going to attempt to get a disc cleaning kit to clean the disc, further, I will wait until you reply back to me how that turns out and we can proceed from there.

I look forward to your reply.

All the best until then,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I purchased a disk clean/repair kit today. Tried cleaning the tiger disk first. It made more noises, and sounded like it was attempting to process the disk, but in the end same result. And repairing didnt go much differently.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Can you try the disk one more time, but this time hold the OPTION key down until a screen shows up with icons in it. If the Tiger install disk is there, click on it and then continue.

See if that works,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried the disk again, held down Option key. The screen remains gray, and the disk pops out still. However the blinking folder does not appear - instead my cursor does.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Very strange.

And you are sure this disk is for that specific Mac?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is the tiger disk that came w/ the macbook pro when I purchased the machine. The last tech I worked w/ asked for the info on the lable and verified that it should work w/ that machine.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

I can't think of anything else.
I'll leave it to him again.
Hello again,

I have something here for you to consider:

The issue may not just be with your restore discs or your hard drive,
it very well may be an issue with the Superdrive (CD/DVD drive) in your Macbook Pro.
After the steps that I and my fellow MacExpert tried to no avail, it suddenly became apparent that the issue may not actually be with just the hard drive or your Tiger restore disc, but the drive as well.

At this point, the best recommendation I could make to save you spending any more of your precious time on this issue, is to consider this a potential software and hardware issue, take your Macbook in to your local Apple Retail store Genius bar and have them examine your your CD/DVD drive (Superdrive), hard drive and also bring in your restore disc for Tiger, and let them perform some tests on your Macbook Pro. As effecient as they are, I trust they will come up with a more tangible solution for you.

Link

Apple Retail Store locator (Genius Bar)

One more thing.
If you do decide to take your Macbook Pro in and they determine that all is well, except your restore discs, as these discs came with your Macbook Pro, when you purchased it, request to have them order you another set of restore discs for Tiger for you. There may be a small nominal fee and it will take about 3-5 busines days to get it, but it is a better alternative to having to by a new full retail version at full price when you already possess a copy of 10.5 Leopard.

To order new Tiger restore discs for your Macbook Pro (If determined that your restore disc- Macbook Pro Mac OS x install Disc 1 Mac OS version 10.4.8 AHT version 3a116 Disk version 1.1 2z691-5948-A) is bad, then you can have the store order the discs for you or you can call AppleCare at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand order by phone and have them ship a new set to you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. I am always ready to continue assisting you, anyway I can. Thanks so much for your resilience and for still working hard with me, to get this issue resolved for yor Macbook Pro.

I will watch for your reply. Thanks!

-TD