Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I have been trying to reformat my maxtor 111 external firewire

Customer Question

I have been trying to reformat my maxtor 111 external firewire hard drive for my intel macbook. I have erased it specifying mac extended journeling, partitioned for 2 with guid and it will not partition. I am at wits end.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

I would try erasing it with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder first. Not partitioning it, just a straight erase. Then go back and partition it after it has been erased. If that doesn't work, start up from your system install or restore disk. Click next when the language screen comes up. Then under the Utilities menu heading select Disk Utility and try a regular erase from there, then follow up with partitioning it the way you want it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did exactly as you said. It just hangs when it is partitioning. I have waited twenty minutes and it is still hanging in the same place. Any other ideas.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
You could try a different firewire cable or connect by USB but it sounds like a hardware problem. The problem is either the drive itself or the drive enclosure. The only thing you can do now is take the drive out of the enclosure and try another hard drive in it to see if the problem is the hard drive itself or the enclosure.

I use this little gadget to test my drives when I have trouble. If hard drives work with this device, the problem is usually the hard drive enclosure.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That didn't work. Sorry
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Well, the only thing I could say try is to buy DiskWarrior and see if it could repair the drive to be partitioned but DiskWarrior costs money and I think you'd be better off just buying another hard drive.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11707/diskwarrior

There's no guarantee DiskWarrior can repair the drive either.

Maxtor has been a decent brand. Any brand can fail. It's just very disappointing when it happens to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already did disk warrior. Have given it up................
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
I am going to opt out so somebody else can give you some other ideas. Good luck.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Maxtor is now owned by Seagate. They have this note on their website that may help;

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=204371