Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I am looking to get my daughter an external hard drive for

I am looking to get my daughter an external hard drive for her Macbook Unibody. I am trying to figure out the best one...very confusing. Trying to account for future needs she may have - USB vs Firewire, etc Could you help? She is a college student. Downloads alot of music and pictures. Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

I don't know if there is a best one but I'll point you to a couple of great ones. The first is a MiniStack that looks just like the MacMini and has extra ports so it also serves as a hub along with a backup hard drive:

This one is listed at one of my favorite sites with great deals,

This second one is a great deal if you need lots of storage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The second website for the western digital has poor customer reviews. Pretty sure I don't want to get her something that has been problematic for other users. Need to know what would be easy to use and reliable and not slow down performance.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Go with the MiniStack. I have 4 of them right now on 2 different computers. When connected with Firewire, they are super fast and reliable. Out of the 4, none have failed to work, one of them did have an internal fan that got loud so I opened the top up and unplugged the fan wire and left the top off so it could ventilate. Still working great. Actually, any of the hard drives at Other World Computing where the MiniStacks are would be great hard drives.

The Western Digital I pointed you to was just a good value for the dollar.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Here is one of the "Pro" backup drives from Other World Computing:

Multiple interfaces as well. Should be a great drive.