Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I have an older iMac, 400 MHz, front slot loading, vintage

I have an older iMac, 400 MHz, front slot loading, vintage 2002 year or so. The HD is small at ~10 GHD, and the RAM is maxed out at 800Meg. The machine works fine. I am running 10.4.11 and would like to upgrade to 10.5. Can I do it on this machine and where do I get the CDs? The machine is equipped with only a CD reader, not a DVD. I had to get 10.4 on CD earlier. The machine has about 4.5 G left on the hard drive space.

No, you have to have a 867 mhz G3 to upgrade to Mac OS 10.5. Your hard drive space is very small also. You would need a DVD drive also. So, unfortunately your older Mac can't accept Mac OS 10.5. Even if it did, I think you would be disappointed because it would run slowly on that old of a computer.