Molinari
Molinari, Computer Technician
Experience:  A+ Certified, expert at grey areas, expert since C-64, amiga, and macs were black and white...

i just downloaded google earth 5.0 and every time i try to

Customer Question

i just downloaded google earth 5.0 and every time i try to zoom in all images are blurry. my operating system is osx 10.4.11.is there something else i need to downoad to make this work properly.email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

It's not you.

Here's a liitle info on Google Earth Imagery:

As you browse the earth you will notice some places appear clearer than others.

Currently Google Earth does not have the whole planet in high resolution. Although please bear in mind, more images are being acquired all the time and the database size being increased and updated.

If you zoom in too far it might be blurry regardless.

If everything looks blurry, you can try this:

You may need to update your graphics card driver if Google Earth isn't working properly.

If you're using Mac OS X 10.4.0 and later, you can perform an update to the latest version of OS X by following these steps:

1. Select the "Apple" menu.
  2. Select "Software Update."
  3. If you don't see "Mac OS X Update" on this list, your system is already up-to-date. If you do see "Mac OS X Update" on the list, place a check mark next to it.
  4. Select "Install Item."

This update will deliver overall improved reliability for Mac OS X and is recommended for all users. It includes fixes for Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, and RAW camera support. It also includes updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers.

And you may want to go into the graphic settings and play around with settings there:

This has been known to work on some Macs:

1. Select the drop down menu "Google Earth" > "Preferences."
2. In the "View" tab change the "Detail Area" to Small (256x256).
3. Click the "OK" button.

Let me know how you make out, but as a general rule, some places are not in hi-res.

Pretty trippy program though, eh?

There may also be layers you can add that may help out as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
neither suggestion worked the closer i get to the earth the more blurry everything gets
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.

Have you tried google earth on another computer?

I'm thinking either the graphics card in your mac may be outdated, or your expectations of the google earth resolution is too high. As a general rule some parts are higher resolution that others.

Here's a screen shot of the image I get, and I have a pretty juiced up system, let me know if it's the same bluriness:

graphic

Let me know if this is comparable... Have you tried the wme download you spoke about?

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.

I forgot to mention, if you think it's going to look like the tv versions, it won't. They probably use the enterprise edition, which you have to get a quote for, it's so expensive, even the pro version is 400 dollars a year. It's 4x better resolution wise while printing or saving, and you can add gps to it...

graphic