MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I lost control of my mouse and keyboard hooked up to the back

Customer Question

I lost control of my mouse and keyboard hooked up to the back of my monitor...suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Can you provide me what model of monitor you are using and what model of Mac is your monitor connected to?

• What type (model) of Keyboard and mouse are you using that's currently connected to your monitor?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OS X version 10.4.11

Monitor is Cinema Display A1038

Not sure on the keyboard model, it is an Apple keyboard

Mouse is the Apple smart mouse

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Considering that you have attempted to reboot your Mac
have you tried directly connecting the mouse and keyboard to your Mac to see if
both devices work on the computer?

By the way, I did not get from you what Model of Mac you have. Could provide this tidbit of information for me as well?

Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, yes I did connect both to the machine, they both work.

PowerPC G5

Bear with me for about 15-20 mins or less. I am going to look indepth on the specs of your display and see what may be causing this connection issue.

I will be replying back to you then. Thanks for your patience in advance!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure.
Thanks for your patience.

Here is what I would suggest you try:

Here are some steps I recommend you try to resolve the issue with your mouse and keyboard not working with the display.

Make sure you connect your Mouse and Keyboard to your G5 to run this process.

-PRAM RESET-
You will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)
Here is what you do:

Shut down the computer.
• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time. Release the keys and allow the Macbook to start up.

Once your PowerMac has been restarted, go ahead and reconnect your mouse and keyboard to the A1038 20" display once again.

* Running a PRAM reset can work with Display and video issues amongst other settings that are either reset/refreshed, so it is worth a try..

Give this a try and let me know if this helps.

Thanks again for allowing me the time to look into this issue for you.

-TD

Hello, just following back up with you to see if the PRAM reset helped with the mouse and keyboard not working with your A1038 Apple Cinema Display.

One more thing as well, do you have a second set of USB keyboard and mouse that you can use in order to test the USB connections on your display.?

If you do, that is one good way to see if the issue is with your display or the keyboard and mouse.

Please feel free to reply back to this post, I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the USB mouse and keyboard they are both okay. I tried the reset mentiioned above, it did not work, thank you just the same. I will pay you as you invested some time.

Cheers,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of the above worked, both mouse and keyboard work fine, the reset didn't work. Thank you just the same.
Thanks for your reply and the Accept.

However I do want to let you know, I did take some extra time in between our correspondence to look further into this issue. As it turns outif you have tested your mouse and keyboard on your Mac or any other computer and they work fine (which you have noted), all signs point to an USB port connection (hardware) issue with your Display.

If you are able to do so, I would recommend you take your display to your local Apple retail store's Genius bar or any local Apple Authorized service provider to have the display diagnosed.

Here are a few store locator links for the Apple Retail stores and also Apple Authorized Service centers.

Apple Retail Store

Apple Authorized Service Provider

Thank you again for contacting JustAnswer.com for your Mac technical questions. I hope you will visit our site again!

All the Best,

-TD