MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Oh god. This weekend I downloaded a program called Main Menu

Customer Question

Oh god. This weekend I downloaded a program called "Main Menu" I used most of the functions and didn't full understand what I did. Today's Tuesday and I can't download anything. Not any Apple Applications, Pictures or Documents from my e-mails, nothing. My "download" menu comes up reaches and the downloads begin but they reach a number and then I get a -cannot create file- and everything stops. Please tell me this is cure-able. My dad uses this computer and I really need a fix before he gets upset.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
• Click anywhere on a blank part of your Desktop
• You will now see the name Finder appear near the Apple Menu icon
located in the upper left corner of your screen.

• From the Finder Menu bar, select Go then click on Utilities from
the drop down menu

• Within Utilities folder, select Activity Monitor

• Now click on My Processes from the drop down menu as seen in screenshot below
Activity Monitor and then My Processes, will allow you to see all of the current Applications running on your Mac per the User account you are in.

Take a look in the list of applications and processes and see if Main Menu is located in the window.

If you see the Main Menu application or not, stop here and let me know.

I am going to do this step by step for you, to make sure we cover all bases to make sure the Main Menu application is stopped and you can regain normal functions on your Dad's Mac.

I will be awaiting your reply, once you get to this point.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I see Main Menu. I highlighted it and the "Quit Process" sign lit up so I assume it's working as an App.
cpu% 0.00 # XXXXX 5 Real Memory 17.07 Virtual Memory 154.03 Kind PowePc.
Thanks for the quick reply. That is what I wanted to know.

Now do this. For now, minimize (don't close) that window.
• Next, open a Finder window and check Applications to see if the Main Menu application folder is located there.

If it is keep that window open, but like the Activity Monitor window, minimize that window to your Dock as well.

Now open one more Finder window and select your Home folder (house icon w/ username next to it) and select Library folder then Application Support folder.
•Look within the Application Support folder for the Main Menu application. It may or may not be there, but we need to check anyway.

Let me know if you see the Main Menu application in these folders aforementioned.
from your reply, I will provide you a complete answer. Right now I am having you locate key folders for the Main Menu application.

I will be waiting for your reply. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. it was in the first "finder window' that I minimized but wasn't in the "library" folder.
Good to know.

Now what I you will need to do is this:

Maximize your Activity Monitor window and quit the process for Main Menu.
If it does not disappear from Active Monitor My Processes window, force quit the application.

Next open your Finder window containing the application folder for Main Menu.
-If you wish to delete the application, just drag the folder or application icon to the Trash.

If you don't Activity Monitor already disabled the Main Menu function so it will not activate again, unless you startup the application again. I leave this step to your discretion.

Click on Apple menu icon and select System Preferences >Accounts
• From within Accounts, select Login Items and make sure there is no evidence of a start up item for Main Menu. If it is, select it and click the minus symbol "-" to remove the item.

Now restart your Mac.

Let me know how your Mac reacts on booting back up to your desktop and if you now have accesses to your applications you were unable to after the Main Menu installation.

I await your update once again. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dang, what we did was get rid of that program but still can download anything. damn, i just don't knw where to start
No alarms just yet.

What are you attempting to download at current and what web browser are you using?
Hi! I was just going through various previous posts I made and I came across your question.
Are you still working on the issue? Or have you gotten a resolution yet?

I like to follow up with Customers like yourself, that I initally assist, so this is why I am checking to see if this issue is still outstanding for you.

I am always glad to assist, Let me know If I can continue assisting you.